Celebrating Martin Luther King Jr. and his impact

Cara Andres, Photo Essay Editor

Picture this: it’s August 28th, 1963. You are standing near the steps of the Lincoln Memorial, listening to a legend being born, and history being made.

It has been over 50 years since Martin Luther King Jr. made his incredible impact on society, and his legacy lives on as we celebrate his birthday through the annual MLK March in downtown Austin.

I enjoy celebrating the life and legacy of a man who literally changed the way we look at equality in America,” volunteer coordinator of the MLK march, Para Agboga said. “By working together we demonstrate what Dr. King was all about and what he lived and died for.”

The event started at 9 A.M. on the UT campus, which began with speeches and followed with a march towards the Texas State Capitol.

“My favorite thing about the parade were the speeches that were given before it by prominent African-American members from our community calling for change,” senior Joshua Smythe said.

Individuals of diverse ethnicities, genders, and ages all gathered around with signs and empowering chants. Many joined to pay homage to Dr. King, show their support for equality, and to achieve progress.

I feel like I owe it to Dr. King to go march,” senior Matthew Demerson said. “If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t be able to do half of the things I could do today.”

The parade ended with a massive celebration at Huston-Tillotson University. The field surrounded with live music, food stands, a little flea market, and bouncy houses for the kids.

“All around the fest there were even Voter Registration booths set up to preach how important it is to vote, and how much of a difference any one person can make,” senior Natalie Haddad said.

Citizens of Austin also celebrated Dr. King at the AISD Kick-Off Celebration. It included speeches given by keynote speakers, live performances, and even a surprise appearance from mayor Steve Adler.

Celebrating MLK together in the community is perhaps a small but public gesture that Austin ISD will not shy away from the realities of how our history shapes our present and how much more work we have to do,” Community Engagement Coordinator Ali Ghilarducci said.

Ultimately, as members of Bowie, we can follow in the footsteps of Dr. King in several ways.

“It’s important for students to know that non-violent and peaceful options exist to achieve social change,” English teacher Amanda Pfeiffer said. “Students can also feel confident enough to speak out and stand up for the disenfranchised and those who are discriminated against in our society.”