WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

The school week should be four days long

Today our marvelous hosts Noah Ellinger and Noah Bihan talk about potential four day school weeks, Spotify wrapped, and celebrity drama!
Iola Bidwell
Most students are constantly worried and in distress about homework or a big test coming up. An extra day of the weekend would give students an additional twenty-four hours to study or finish assignments.

Labor Day, Memorial Day, and Indigenous People’s Day are happy days all around the U.S., mainly because people get time off. Three-day weekends are always a blast and extremely relaxing for citizens, especially students. But what if this was every weekend? Think about how much less stress and more relaxation there would be for students if Monday was an official part of the weekend.

These are only some of the reasons that three-day weekends should be an every week thing. So many more benefits could come out of Monday being an extension of the weekend. The most important thing though is the good things it brings for students. The mental and physical health of students and teachers alike will improve drastically.

Most students are constantly worried and in distress about homework or a big test coming up. An extra day of the weekend would give students an additional twenty-four hours to study or finish assignments. It would also give teachers more time to plan fun, interactive lessons that students are more engaged and interested in.

This three-day weekend would be a bonus day to catch up on school work, chores, and hobbies. Most students can’t do this on Saturday or Sunday because they dedicate their time and effort to other extracurricular activities. For example, students who have to travel far for sports tournaments lose precious hours that could be spent working on school assignments and projects.

In addition, many people on campus hardly get a sufficient break from everyday stress until summer, which isn’t healthy for their body. In fact, according to an article by Healthline, the many stresses of everyday life can lead to serious, irreversible damages to your heart. Undergoing this significant amount of constant stress in high school could be really hurting student’s bodies.

However, these individuals could get more than thirty extra days they can use as a break from this demanding atmosphere. Adding Mondays onto the weekends would give students and teachers thirty-six more days of freedom and relaxation. To get a break from the daily stresses of life can be hard, but one additional day a week would give people the time to disconnect and recharge.

Some people might be against weekly three-day weekends because they feel the requirement of hours in the classroom won’t be met. In order to meet the hour requirement, summer and winter breaks may be shortened by a few days. Additionally, the school day could be extended to seven, eight, or nine hours. Finally, class periods could be two hours rather than 90 minutes, therefore allowing the required hours to be met.

All districts should make three-day weekends the new normal. This would be best for the mental health of not just students but all school staff as well.