WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Dawgs basketball first playoff appearance in four years ends in disappointment

On Monday, Bowie Boys Basketball played round one of the playoffs against the number two team in the State, Stony Point, at Burger Stadium. With over a thousand people in attendance, all eyes were on the 30 players on the court competing for a round two bid. 

A slow start for the Dawgs’ allowed Stony Point to get a 51-31 lead at halftime. 21 points from Darius Williams, including 18 in the second half allowed the Dawgs to crawl back in the game. Senior Captain Mason Wasserburger was the 3rd leading scorer in the game finishing with 11 points.

“The struggles in the first half were due to our turnovers, we kind of hurt ourselves, we allowed Stony [Point] to get too many possessions,” Wasserburger said. “In the second half we did a better job taking care of the ball which slowed down their offense and allowed us to get way better looks.”

Unfortunately for the Dawgs, the second half push was not enough, as they fell 62-78 to a very complete Stony Point team. The team’s playoff run was a big turning point for the program, as it was their first playoff appearance in 4 years, since they made the playoffs in 2020 under Coach Collier. The team is poised for another run next year, where it will be a new look roster as they are losing 11 impactful seniors.

“I am super proud of all the seniors this year,” Wasserburger said. “It was a crazy ride and I am so glad I have been able to experience and grow up with all these guys. It was a memorable year and I know that we will continue to be a playoff team in the future. It sucks that the season had to end like that, but it made for some amazing memories that I will never forget. Bowie is definitely back.”