Mental health awareness should be prioritized in all schools
Sally Martinez, J1 Reporter • April 22, 2024

Mental health takes a toll on students all over the world. It disrupts how they learn and retain that information. So, why is it not a big deal when schools see an increase in lower grades and moody students?...

Dull to colorful with new murals
Ryan Zuniga, Dispatch Reporter • April 19, 2024

Along the heavily populated hallway is the second mural within the fine arts wing. Over spring break a local graffiti group, Color Cartel, led and established by artist Andrew Horner, created the...

Dawgs basketball first playoff appearance in four years ends in disappointment

On Monday, Bowie Boys Basketball played round one of the playoffs against the number two team in the State, Stony Point, at Burger Stadium. With over a thousand people in attendance, all eyes were on the 30 players on the court competing for a round two bid. 

A slow start for the Dawgs’ allowed Stony Point to get a 51-31 lead at halftime. 21 points from Darius Williams, including 18 in the second half allowed the Dawgs to crawl back in the game. Senior Captain Mason Wasserburger was the 3rd leading scorer in the game finishing with 11 points.

“The struggles in the first half were due to our turnovers, we kind of hurt ourselves, we allowed Stony [Point] to get too many possessions,” Wasserburger said. “In the second half we did a better job taking care of the ball which slowed down their offense and allowed us to get way better looks.”

Unfortunately for the Dawgs, the second half push was not enough, as they fell 62-78 to a very complete Stony Point team. The team’s playoff run was a big turning point for the program, as it was their first playoff appearance in 4 years, since they made the playoffs in 2020 under Coach Collier. The team is poised for another run next year, where it will be a new look roster as they are losing 11 impactful seniors.

“I am super proud of all the seniors this year,” Wasserburger said. “It was a crazy ride and I am so glad I have been able to experience and grow up with all these guys. It was a memorable year and I know that we will continue to be a playoff team in the future. It sucks that the season had to end like that, but it made for some amazing memories that I will never forget. Bowie is definitely back.”