Mental health awareness should be prioritized in all schools
Sally Martinez, J1 Reporter • April 22, 2024

Mental health takes a toll on students all over the world. It disrupts how they learn and retain that information. So, why is it not a big deal when schools see an increase in lower grades and moody students?...

Dull to colorful with new murals
Ryan Zuniga, Dispatch Reporter • April 19, 2024

Along the heavily populated hallway is the second mural within the fine arts wing. Over spring break a local graffiti group, Color Cartel, led and established by artist Andrew Horner, created the...

All grade levels should have the option of off-campus lunch.  

Olivia Hunter
According to many students, each day in their lives can be incredibly stressful and the ability to leave campus during lunch is seen as a way to refocus or have a break away from schoolwork.

Lunch is a major part of every student’s life, but our lunch policies at Bowie aren’t fair. Overcrowding, weather, and sanitation are all issues during lunch because of the rules against lower-class men being able to leave the school premises. So, are limiting off-campus lunches to only seniors helping Bowie’s campus? 

According to many students, each day in their lives can be incredibly stressful and the ability to leave campus during lunch is seen as a way to refocus or have a break away from schoolwork. So, a change of scenery can help kids with their mindsets, behavior, and academic success. 

Also, a good attitude is always an important part of a student’s success. Therefore if all students were given the chance to go off campus to clear their heads during their day, then it could be beneficial to their experiences in classes. 

The areas on our campus where students are allowed to eat lunch are so crowded that kids have to eat along hallways for space to sit down. This issue has become so huge that it’s not only negatively affecting the students, but it’s also affecting the environment, since trash and food end up in places where it shouldn’t. 

Furthermore, the available spaces outside can be destroyed or become wet during bad weather. Which causes students other than seniors to be stuck without places to go. So, a way to solve the space and littering problems on our campus would be giving the option to all students for open lunch. 

Another equally important reason to give all students access to open lunch is that they’re experiencing the freedom they’re given in college. Which, in turn,  helps them gain the responsibility needed and prepare themselves for the future. 

Other people may argue that going off campus can be dangerous for younger students because they believe they aren’t responsible enough for these privileges, but if kids never learn control or responsibility then as they get older they will have problems with time management and work ethic. 

Every student that is acceptable to drive is always permitted a drivers license when gone through the app and class. So, parents who are worrying for the safety of their kids can have the assurance that the children driving off campus have proof of a driver’s license and that they’re responsible enough to drive. 

Overall, off campus lunches would be beneficial to Bowie if they were allowed for all grades because they could solve many problems including the cramped and littered environment within the school.