Mental health awareness should be prioritized in all schools
Sally Martinez, J1 Reporter • April 22, 2024

Mental health takes a toll on students all over the world. It disrupts how they learn and retain that information. So, why is it not a big deal when schools see an increase in lower grades and moody students?...

Dull to colorful with new murals
Ryan Zuniga, Dispatch Reporter • April 19, 2024

Along the heavily populated hallway is the second mural within the fine arts wing. Over spring break a local graffiti group, Color Cartel, led and established by artist Andrew Horner, created the...

Stricter FIT rules enforced

New semester sparks reminders of old policies
Today, Noah Bihan and Noah Ellinger teamed up to tackle the Superbowl. Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift, the commercials, the new movie teasers, and the new upcoming FIT policies! Be sure to tune in every other week for new episodes!

The bell sounds after the first period and students begin meandering in the hallways and fleeing campus. STEM Instructional Coach Cindi Carroll, and School Improvement Facilitator Whitney Vohl scramble for a solution to the disorganized hallways as Flexible Instructional Time (FIT) begins.

Last semester, administrators realized there were students not signed up for a FIT session or had not seen that they were assigned to a FIT session in Enriching Students. Due to this, a plan was created during winter break for a FIT reset.

“The biggest reminder has been that students need to sign up for a FIT session using Enriching Students,” Carroll said. “That was the biggest message we were trying to send as a school.”

This semester, students are now being reminded during their first period class to double check Enriching Students.

“Students need to check their FIT portal in Enriching Students,” Carroll said. “They need to make sure they aren’t assigned to a fit before signing up to go where they want.”

Last semester, there was a struggle with students leaving campus during FIT and disrespecting the teachers that were in charge of patrolling the hallways.

“Administrators are seeing students pouring out of campus,” Vohl said. “There was this negative mindset from students that were undervaluing FIT and seeing it as an opportunity to leave campus.”

Students who continue to utilize FIT as it is intended to be used are also affected by this stricter new policy. Classrooms are fuller and spaces are harder to come by.

“The FIT policy should be less strict because now some FIT sessions are overcrowded,” freshman Jazzlyn Hepburn said. “Now, people can’t do their work because so many students are coming into the classroom that don’t actually need to be there.”