WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Stanley cup and Sephora trends have detrimental effects on children

Children+exposed+to+adult+trends+on+social+media+platforms+such+as+TikTok++have+misused+products+meant+for+older+complexions+
Iola Bidwell
Children exposed to adult trends on social media platforms such as TikTok have misused products meant for older complexions

Young children are causing conflicts in Sephora, a global beauty store. These conflicts are leading to further issues like unsanitary environments and chaos. The obsession with skin care is causing destruction inside the Sephora buildings, and making a filthy environment for shoppers and workers. The Stanley cup is a very trendy cup that is $35 to $45 dollars. Additionally, Stanley cups have joined skincare products in being the newfound obsession of many young kids. This famous cup has caused conflict between children, and their attitudes towards one another. 

In general, children should take care of their skin but avoid using products that are too harsh on their complexion. They also should be respectful of the stores’ displays, not creating messes for employees and customers. Sephora is going to lose business due to the aggressiveness of the younger kids.  Now, many kids are facing bullying from their peers for not having an original Stanley cup. Getting a cheaper cup that functions the same way, shouldn’t be a problem and definitely is not worth bullying. Kids should not be making fun of others for not having an original expensive cup. 

Most kids are using harmful products that are intended for mature skin.  Young kids are using trending skincare products like, Glow Recipe, Drunk Elephant, and Sol De Janeiro. These companies’ skincare include a type of vitamin A, also called retinol. This product is commonly found in moisturizers, and is used by adults to reduce wrinkles or lines. Other exfoliants and chemical acids are in serums, and are used by teens and adults to prevent acne and help with wrinkles. 

Many of the kids shopping at Sephora have created a poor reputation for themselves and the store. According to The Daily Dot, customers feel extremely uncomfortable with actions and comments frequently made by young shoppers. They tend to use up all test products and not clean up after themselves. Others also need those testers to sample the product before purchasing, but they cannot because of the mistreatment of the samples. Sephora shoppers have not been afraid to call the kids out and share their thoughts about this issue, which they typically do on social media platforms such as TikTok. 

This cup became a big trend on TikTok, and a lot of kids desire one. According to UNILAD, a nine year old had been made fun of for having a cup that was not “cool enough.” Parents are concerned about their children picking up disrespectful behaviors, such as bullying. In elementary and middle schools, the Stanley isn’t to keep their drinks cold, it’s to gain popularity; if someone has an off-brand water bottle, no one wants to associate with them. 

Another issue is that parents are noticing their kids becoming unexpectedly expensive. According to  Boston Globe, tweens are spending $30 to $60 on skincare per visit; adding the total costs of getting serums, lotions, cleansers, and of course a Stanley, adding all the charges up, the cost would roughly be $168. Not only are these purchases a lot of money, but kids are spending lots on products that could harm their skin in the future. According to CNBC, parents claim that it’s surprising that their children don’t want a Barbie, toys, or anything else that is more kid-friendly.

According to Nuthatch Naturals, parents argue that they support their children’s desire to care for their skin. They state that their kids are not as mature because they are children, and they therefore may not understand respecting places and people. According to Business Insider, guardians want to buy their kids a Stanley, because it makes them happy and they feel trendy. Although taking care of their skin is not a bad thing, it would be better to use less harsh products from brands such as Elf, Evereden, or Kidskin. In conclusion, adults should teach their children manners towards their peers, and not disrespect public places .

Although it is clear children want to do skincare, it doesn’t take a lot for them to use age appropriate products. Stanley’s are just a trendy cup, and bullying is not needed if someone has an off brand water bottle. Kids will always want to follow a trend, as the years go by, but that does not mean they have to lose their respect and manners.