WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Deciding the course of a nation

Layne Foxcroft
The two election frontrunners from each party are Donald Trump from the Republican Party and incumbent Joe Biden for the Democratic Party.

There is a power in numbers. More votes equals more representation, reformations, and better quality in our government. On November 5, 2024, the 60th presidential election will take place. President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump are running for re-election. If Biden and Trump are nominated for their respective parties, it would mark the first presidential rematch since 1956.

It is very important for people to vote because that’s the only way to get a change in the system,” history teacher Charles Stampley said. “To register to vote, you can fill out a card and send it in.”

The runners for the Democratic party are Biden, Marianne Williamson, and Dean Phillips. On the Republican side are Trump, Nikki Haley, and Ryan Binkley. The third-party runners are Robery Kennedy Jr., Cornel West, and Kill Stein.

“I chose to vote because it’s very important,” senior Serena Hinahon said. “I think when you are granted the opportunity to exercise your rights and beliefs you should take it, especially when it has a massive effect on the country.”

According to the White House, if Biden is re-elected, his priorities will include COVID-19, tackling the climate crisis, fixing racial injustice, addressing inequities in the economy, strengthening our national workforce, reforming our immigration system, and offering affordable healthcare. Donald Trump has stated that if he is elected, he would increase deportation, send the U.S. military to the border, expand ICE detentions, deputize local law enforcement to handle border security, increase border patrol funding, and finish building the wall on the southern border.

“I try my best to keep up with the news and political policies going on in the country and in the world,” Hinahon said. “The most accessible form I get my information from is on social media and news outlets.”

According to the New York Times, the major topics that will most likely come up during the campaign are border security, economy, education, foreign policy, healthcare, LGBTQ+ rights, and democracy. 21 states have banned or restricted abortion due to the Roe v. Wade court case, making abortion an important topic in the upcoming election. Democrats are mainly supportive of abortion access being a right, while Republican politicians are typically in favor of restricting the legality of abortion. Economic issues in America have also been a significant concern. These include the high rise in inflation that started in 2021 due to the pandemic, a supply-chain crisis, and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. These events caused worldwide shipments to slow down causing shortages of products. 

“The actual voting itself was super easy and insightful,” Hinahon said. “I spent a few minutes writing down policies I wanted to remember so that I could look back on it when I’m voting.”

For people interested in learning how to cast their vote, the League of Women Voters website has voting guides and all social studies teachers have voter registration cards that you can send to the state to register. 

“I referenced info from the League of Women Voters, the Austin American-Statesman, and The Austin Chronicle,” senior Will Gum said. “I highly recommend everyone to register to vote when they can and do adequate research before voting.”