Post Malone Concert

Katie Holme, Staff Writer

Austin Post, more famously known as Post Malone, is an American rapper currently at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart with his song “Rockstar” ft. 21 Savage and number four on the Billboard Top 200 chart with his album “Stoney”.

He came into fame with his single “White Iverson” in 2015 in which the music video claimed 390 million views. Originating in Grapevine, Texas, Post Malone is known for his raspy voice and grunge style so unique that one cannot describe with words.

Personally I have been a huge fan of Post Malone ever since he started to post songs on Soundcloud. I was ecstatic when he announced his world tour  “Stoney”.

On Oct. 25, Post Malone performed at Stubb’s Bar-B-Que Outdoor Stage featuring performances by Smokepurpp and Yung Pinch.

Prior to the concert and being the fangirl I am, I analyzed his music as if it was my job. His album “Stoney” is composed of 18 songs including some of his top hits as well as hidden gems. Although the album is categorized under the rap genre, some of his songs lean toward a more alternative vibe.

Through songs like “Feeling Whitney” and “I Fall Apart” Malone’s voice is heard at its true potential with the slow tempo of more alternative based songs. His more popular songs such as “Congratulations” are very upbeat and always enjoyable to listen to. Personally, my favorite songs in this album are “Feeling Whitney” and “Yours Truly, Austin Post” due to their relaxed style.

Arriving to the concert, it was no surprise to see fans lined up waiting to enter the venue. The line spiraled down 11th street and all the way to a Shell gas station on US-290 where I stood with a couple of my friends. The crowd as predicted were high school students and millennials all arriving the concert with good intentions.

In the crowd, through the haze, Malone goofily walked on stage and greeted the crowd with his iconic smile. I stood there in shock, I was in the same vicinity as one of my icons. I became so overwhelmed with this realization that I was on the verge of tears.

As he continued with the concert, he interacted with the crowd and explained the origins of each song. Through this Post Malone’s insanely friendly personality was exposed as well as his ability to stay humble through his excessive amount of fame. This differs from many other concerts I have been to where the performer does not connect to the audience effectively in which it can make the experience less enjoyable.

My favorite performance was “Feeling Whitney” in which Post Malone sat down with a gleaming glittery gold guitar and showed off his amazing vocals. Through this performance I felt like he really connected with the audience and humanized himself in a way that made him seem like an average person.

Towards the end of the concert, I was so thankful to have received the opportunity to see Post Malone live. Overall it was an amazing experience, I would definitely rate this event a 10/10 and hopefully will see Post Malone live again very soon.