Bowie Students Make All-State Orchestra

Marisa Salazar, Staff Writer

Recently Bowie Orchestra students participated in All-State Orchestra auditions and played their instruments to compete against others in Texas. Students submitted a recording of eight tracks which were judged and the best were selected for All-State Orchestra. Two Bowie students competed and were selected in their instrument groups, sophomore cello player Andre Plackis and senior violin player Kathryn Park. To be recognized out of the numerous submissions shows the talent and dedication these students have to their instrument and Plakis shared the key to his cello playing abilities.

“You have to practice efficiently and love what you do,” said Plackis. “Keep practicing over and over again, keep drilling everything you’ve learned until eventually it sounds good.”

First starting the cello in sixth grade, Plackis has strengthened his abilities to now rank 23rd out of the 158 cellos that auditioned which marks his first time to be selected for All-State Orchestra. Park ranked 86th out of the 317 violins that auditioned, making this her fourth year as an All-State violinist which is an accomplishment not many students achieve. While some may see it as just a musical instrument, the motivation Plackis has to play the cello goes deeper than just to play music and win awards.

“The reason I play the cello is because it’s the only way I can express myself to where I feel people will listen to me,” said Plackis.

Starting as a simple interest in the instrument in middle school, Plakis has become gifted and his dedication has payed off. He is humble about his recent achievement and ready to continue practicing to become even better at the cello, making his All-State selection one of the many achievements he plans to make with the cello.

“It feels nice,” said Plackis. “I’m not there yet, it’s no cloud nine, but I’m hoping to get better every day.”