New Choice sheet options

Douglas Smith, Staff Writer

With the coming of the 2017-2018 school year, students will have the opportunity to take some previously unoffered classes. While some of the classes are completely new, others are altered versions of older courses that have been offered in the past.  

Many of the classes serve to provide students with new electives tied to the four main core areas of study such as UT On Ramps Physics, American History Through Film and Algebraic Reasoning.

I think having more classes is definitely beneficial because giving students more options is going to make them more receptive towards school in general,” junior David Goeller said.

Students taking these courses will be able to earn additional credit within that core’s area. These new specialized classes will enable students to pursue skills and paths that they want to hone in on, and potentially utilize later in life.

The goal of the new classes is to help target students particular interests and hobbies, while also creating enjoyable learning environments for those subjects.  

“ I am excited about all the new classes,” Guidance Counselor Catherine Kopke said.  “Especially Dance Wellness that incorporates physical and emotional self care practices such as mindfulness, yoga, and pilates.”

Aside from the students signing up, teachers and staff are also preparing and looking forward to instructing the new classes.  

“It was something that I was interested in doing so I talked to a couple other teachers about it,” UT On Ramps Physics Teacher Aaron Bryant said. “I think that the right students will benefit from it, and all the new options mean that students get more exposed to things that they might need when they get out of high school.”

In the case of advanced classes such as UT On Ramps Physics, students face a decision of whether or not to pursue a more academically challenging course.

“It’s really geared towards seniors who are looking to take engineering or science classes in college,” said Bryant. “Its supposed to set you up so that you’ve already got that college credit underway, since it pretty much comes straight from UT.”

While the incoming additional classes cover a wide range of topics, not every interest can be touched upon.

“I’m pretty happy with the classes being added,” said freshman Luke Broderick. “ If I could though, I would add more fun classes that weren’t just working the whole time and were more engaging to the students.”

Staff, parents and students are appreciative of the additional classes being added, seeing the move as a step in the right direction for the general well being of students.  

Goeller said, “Now is as good a time as any for people to take as many classes as they can, so that they can find something they enjoy and pursue a career.”