Cross country season comes to an end

Photo Courtesy of Stephen Morales

AT THE STARTING LINE: The boy’s varsity cross country team begins their race at the Region 4 Championships.

Maddy Franco, Print Staff

On Oct. 13, 2022, Bowie cross country competed in the UIL 6A District 26 at Walter E. Long lake. The varsity teams placed 3rd in District and moved on to Regional Competition in Corpus Christi on Oct. 24. 

At regionals, everyone ran a total of 3.107 miles. Both Varsity teams finished overall in 11th place at UIL regionals. The girl’s varsity had a score as a team of 312 and the boy’s varsity team had a score of 292. Senior Evan MacGregor was one of the people qualified to run at the meet.

“It felt good, but not a surprise at all with the hard work both teams have been putting in to lead up to this point,” MacGregor said.

With a time of 19:46 at District and a time of 20:23 at the UIL regional, Freshman Willa Bock took the lead for girl’s varsity at District and qualified for running at regionals. At each race to help her get through and run to the best of her ability, she tries to keep up a good mindset and a positive attitude throughout the race.

“Something that really encourages me during my races is staying positive and being in the right mindset,” Bock said. “If you are thinking negatively then it feels impossible to recover and continue. My worst races happen when I’m not feeling confident and determined.”

This is the second year that cross country has made regionals. Junior Parker Seely had a time of 20:12 and was second to lead the girl’s varsity at District. 

“To prepare for a big race the night before I take an Epsom salt bath, roll out my muscles, and try to go to bed early,” Seely said. “The day of the big race I eat a bar for breakfast, listen to some music, receive encouragement from teammates, and focus on controlling my nerves.”

Cross country has accomplished so much in the months of their season. With their season at an end, regionals were a big last accomplishment for the team.

“I was so happy we made regionals. The team made a huge effort and we all did great at districts which led us to making regionals,” Bock said.