Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Mazzy Warren, Editor-in-Chief • April 25, 2024

WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

The Dawgs take down Akins

On the gridiron, the ‘Dawgs had the opportunity to clinch a playoff spot with a win against the Akins Eagles on Friday, October 20.
Nick Wood
RB Nathaniel Toups (Senior) makes it past the defenders and searches for a path to the end zone.

The Lady ‘Dawgs traveled north on Tuesday, October 17 to face off against the Anderson Trojans. In a competitive first set, the Trojans took an early 1-0 lead with a 26-24 set win. The Lady ‘Dawgs fought back and won the second set 25-22 to even the match at 1-1.

After the second set, the Trojans took control of the match and won the next two sets 25-21 and 25-17 to defeat the Lady ‘Dawgs 3-1.

Then, on Friday, October 20, the Lady ‘Dawgs played at home against the Akins Eagles. Sweeping them for the second time this season, the Lady ‘Dawgs improved to 6-9 in district play.

“We have worked really hard this season and have progressed throughout the year,” junior captain Simone Baskin said. “Even though we are not going to the playoffs, I’m proud of our fight and hopeful we can improve next year.”

On the gridiron, the ‘Dawgs had the opportunity to clinch a playoff spot with a win against the Akins Eagles on Friday, October 20. In a commanding 56-7 win, the ‘Dawgs moved to 4-2 in district play, solidifying themselves a spot in the playoffs.

In the win, junior quarterback Cruz Tello accounted for five total touchdowns, a season high for the first-year starter. Throwing for two touchdowns, one of which a 28-yard throw to senior wide receiver Carmine Elisarraraz, Tello finished the game with only one incompletion and 114 aerial yards.

Tello also ran the ball in for a ‘Dawgs score on three separate occasions. Senior Jaden Buduan rushed for a touchdown in the victory as well.

Overall, the ‘Dawgs dominated all phases of the game, as the defense held the Eagles to a single touchdown, and the special teams returned a blocked punt for a touchdown.

“It’s a great feeling to clinch the playoffs,” senior defensive back Cole Jaynes said. “It feels like all of our hard work in the off-season and practices has paid off. As a team we don’t feel like we have played our best game yet, and we are excited to have a shot at making a postseason run.”