Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Mazzy Warren, Editor-in-Chief • April 25, 2024

WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Dawgs back in action

Junior QB Cruz Tello scrambles for a pass attempt.
BACK IN ACTION: On Thursday night at 7:30, the Bowie Bulldogs hosted Vista Ridge in their football season home opener at Burger Stadium. The Dawgs have one more non-conference game as they travel to Cedar Ridge next Friday. They then begin conference play in two weeks at Del Valle.

On Thursday night at 7:30, the Bowie Bulldogs hosted Vista Ridge in their football season home opener at Burger Stadium. The Bulldogs led by debutant junior quarterback Cruz Tello entered the season with high expectations, ranking 40th among all Texas 6A schools according to Max Preps. 

The season began with some fireworks. Senior Captain Collin Rice returned a blocked punt for a touchdown early in the first quarter.

“I felt pretty good when I got the scoop and score,” Rice said. “I’ve never scored a touchdown before so it was pretty cool.”

The Bulldog’s early success continued with senior Defensive Back Bralin Thomas, forcing a turnover late in the second quarter. Using the momentum from Thomas’ interception, the ‘Dawgs marched down the field and scored their only offensive touchdown of the night with a Tello keeper up the left side. 

Going into the half, the Bulldogs led 14-0. That success did not translate into the second half, as the Vipers launched two touchdown passes that tied the game.  

The Bulldogs remained calm late in the 4th quarter, a clutch interception by senior Defensive Back Cole Jaynes, forcing an intense overtime battle.

Vista Ridge came out firing in overtime, scoring yet another touchdown pass to take a 21-14 lead. 

The Dawgs had another chance to tie the game once again and force the game into another overtime, but the Bulldogs fell short as an interception sealed their fate in the opener.

The ‘Dawgs have one more non-conference game as they travel to Cedar Ridge next Friday. They then begin conference play in two weeks at Del Valle.