Youth navigate the world of activism
Youth navigate the world of activism
Elizabeth Yowell, In-Depth Editor • May 23, 2024

Sweaty from the fires lit under their feet, thousands of passionate students roar through the streets, shaking the ground they march on. A 17-year-old high school junior pulls out their phone to record,...

Bill 17 bans DEI offices on campuses
Bill 17 bans DEI offices on campuses
Savannah Riggins, News Editor • May 22, 2024

On June 17, 2023 Texas Senate Bill 17 was passed. Following it’s passage, the impact of Texas Senate Bill 17 is reverberating throughout the state’s educational landscape, promoting a wave of reactions...

Dawgs back in action

Junior QB Cruz Tello scrambles for a pass attempt.
BACK IN ACTION: On Thursday night at 7:30, the Bowie Bulldogs hosted Vista Ridge in their football season home opener at Burger Stadium. The Dawgs have one more non-conference game as they travel to Cedar Ridge next Friday. They then begin conference play in two weeks at Del Valle.

On Thursday night at 7:30, the Bowie Bulldogs hosted Vista Ridge in their football season home opener at Burger Stadium. The Bulldogs led by debutant junior quarterback Cruz Tello entered the season with high expectations, ranking 40th among all Texas 6A schools according to Max Preps. 

The season began with some fireworks. Senior Captain Collin Rice returned a blocked punt for a touchdown early in the first quarter.

“I felt pretty good when I got the scoop and score,” Rice said. “I’ve never scored a touchdown before so it was pretty cool.”

The Bulldog’s early success continued with senior Defensive Back Bralin Thomas, forcing a turnover late in the second quarter. Using the momentum from Thomas’ interception, the ‘Dawgs marched down the field and scored their only offensive touchdown of the night with a Tello keeper up the left side. 

Going into the half, the Bulldogs led 14-0. That success did not translate into the second half, as the Vipers launched two touchdown passes that tied the game.  

The Bulldogs remained calm late in the 4th quarter, a clutch interception by senior Defensive Back Cole Jaynes, forcing an intense overtime battle.

Vista Ridge came out firing in overtime, scoring yet another touchdown pass to take a 21-14 lead. 

The Dawgs had another chance to tie the game once again and force the game into another overtime, but the Bulldogs fell short as an interception sealed their fate in the opener.

The ‘Dawgs have one more non-conference game as they travel to Cedar Ridge next Friday. They then begin conference play in two weeks at Del Valle.