Volleyball Spirit Night

Justine Lockhart, Staff Writer

The music blares loudly but it’s nothing compared to the cheers that will soon echo throughout the gym. The gym is filled with Bowie students and parents carrying pompoms and signs. One sign proudly states “you can’t cage these bulldogs.”

The many fans are packed into the bleachers to participate in the Bowie volleyball spirit night and to support the lady dawgs.

“The crowd was amazing, great energy,” head volleyball coach, Miguel Saenz said.

Although the gym was roaring with cheers the volleyball team didn’t win any sets and lost the game against Vandergrift.

“I wish we had gotten a set here or there, I think [the crowd] would have given us more inspiration.” Saenz said.

Although the team is off to a bit of a rough start they are working hard to improve and beat tougher teams.

“It’s a very good learning experience,” senior, Kyndall Johnson said. “Getting loses is learning what we did wrong and learning to play with each other.”

Part of the reason the team is still struggling is the changes that have occurred since last year.

“The biggest thing we had to change is the style of volleyball we play,” Saenz said.

After the last season there was  a shift in the strengths of the team.

“We are very good defensively; last year it was more about offense,” Johnson said.

The front row players are working hard to become a stronger offense.

“We’re still trying to learn how to be good scorers,” Saenz added.

Although the team is looking to become better attackers they do have other strengths than the good defense.

“We got good leadership and good chemistry on the team,” Saenz said.

Even though the team goal is to become stronger in the front row Johnson has her own goal as well.

“I just hope I leave on a good note and knowing we fought hard every game,” Johnson said, “[I want to make] sure I leave a good mark for next year or even ten years after that.”

Coach Miguel Saenz gives the girls a pep talk during a timeout. Photo by: Justine Lockhart