CROWED SPACES: Students pour into the fine arts hall every day, and every day they walk past the newly installed mural. The new focal point of the hallway and transforming the steal and cold corridor into a piece of artwork. “I am always trying to improve my style whether that is changing the alphabet I have on rotation for a fresher look,” Horner said. “Or perfecting a personalized palette are ways that I am to continue growing as an artist.”
Dull to colorful with new murals
Emerson Traugott, Executive Editor: News • April 26, 2024

Bristles brush against the wall as advanced art students place the finishing touches on the mural in the newly modernized fine arts building. A vibrate extension of artistic possibilities within the fine...

Tracy leads Bulldog LAX team into season

Young team looks to capitalize on preseason games to gain experience going into district play
Nick Wood
FACE-TO-FACE: Sophomore Cole Wong runs toe-to-toe with an Austin High defender. Bowie struggled offensively and end up losing 21-2 to the Maroons “They are a very experienced and physical team, and we have a lot to work on,” midfielder Wong said. “My game knowledge and field vision is better this year and I hope that I can utilize those skills to score more goals and help my teammates.”

As the varsity boys lacrosse team gears up for an exciting pre-season, the atmosphere is rich with anticipation and a fresh sense of purpose.

PASS PERFECTION: Long Stick Midfielder (LSM) Haq Newton lunges forward with a powerful pass, capturing the athleticism of the sport. His extended reach reflects the intensity of the play. “We play a lot of really good teams this pre-season,” Tracy said. “We’ll prove that this year isn’t just a rebuilding season.” (Nick Wood)

“This season is super exciting for all of us,” Coach William Laurel said. “I’m very proud with the level of all our players.”

With Laurel, stepping up to the head coach position, there’s a new energy around the team. Laurel, a Bowie alumni, brings a unique blend of passion, experience, and a deep connection to the school’s lacrosse legacy, making this transition one full of promise.

“I’ve come to appreciate the coaching on a more personal level,” junior Ian Hoard said.

The personal touch Laurel brings to the team resonates deeply with the players, fostering a sense of individual attention that elevates their game. This coaching strategy is not only sharpening their skills but also weaving a stronger sense of community within the team, setting a solid groundwork for the promising season ahead.

“We’re a tight-knit group,” senior Camden Tracy said. “The guys fit well together and there’s mutual respect all around.”

MOVING DOWNFIELD: Matthew Fair maneuvers around the field showcasing the agility the sport demands. His stance communicates the stakes of the game as the team strives for the championship. “Making state will be tough no doubt, but the ‘Dawgs are hungry to win,” Hoard said. (Nick Wood)

Tracy, the team’s captain, is at the forefront of embracing this transitional era for the team. His leadership and commitment are more vital than ever as he works to unify the team under Laurel’s vision. Together, they’re focusing on building a unit that values teamwork, resilience, and strategic play.

“What’s always drawn me into the game is the fast-paced decision-making,” Tracy said. “You need to anticipate not just your move, but everyone else’s on the field.”

Tracy’s love for the fast-paced decision-making intrinsic to lacrosse is mirrored in coach Laurel’s training regiment, which emphasizes strategic thinking and anticipation. As they adapt to this rigorous training, the team is becoming more adept at reading the field and reacting instinctively, which is essential for the dynamic nature of the sport and the challenges they will face in the upcoming season.

“It’s an exciting time to cap off my high school lacrosse career as captain, especially in one of the fastest-growing sports,” Tracy said.

As the pre-season looms, the excitement within the team is palpable. Laurel is pushing the boys to their limits, but there’s a shared understanding that every drop of sweat is a step toward greatness. The team’s dynamics are shifting, with each player stepping up to contribute to a collective goal of winning games.

“Each game, each practice, is a step toward the legacy we aim to build,” Laurel said. “The challenges we face will only strengthen our resolve as a team.”

PREGAME RITUAL: The Bulldogs starting lineup stands together to listen to a quick briefing from the refs and shake hands with Austin’s players. Many players were excited to start the pre-season with a game against the rival Maroons who are two tiers above Bowie. “We knew if we played our game we would get something out of it,” captain Camden Tracy said. (Nick Wood)