A lesson learned through injury

Justine Lockhart, Staff Writer

A horrible injury can break an athlete’s career, and make them work harder to reach the level they once were at.

Sophomore Kirstyn Dill tore her ACL, lateral meniscus, and part of her MCL five months ago, but she hasn’t let it stop her.

“The way Kirstyn is handling it I have no doubt in my mind that she’s gonna bounce back and make a full recovery and come out of this a stronger person,” Soccer Coach Carrie Hoffman-Howell said.

Even with her injury, Dill has found a way to keep soccer in her life. She became a manager for the Bowie girls soccer team.

“Watching games is bittersweet because it’s nice to watch my team, but it’s also difficult to know I won’t be playing,” Dill said.

Dill injured herself during Thanksgiving break, and wasn’t able to finish playing in the basketball season because of it.

“I was kind of a manager, but I got [to] dress out and sit on the bench with the team,” Dill said.

Although she made the basketball team, she didn’t have the chance to try out for soccer this year.

“I could say ‘well before the season you were here so you’re good enough to be on the team but at the same time which team?’” Hoffman-Howell said.

Throughout her injury Dill’s twin sister Katelyn has been there to help her recover from surgery.

“She has always been there if I needed her,” Kirstyn said.

Although Kirstyn loves to watch her sister play, she wishes she could be on the field too.

“The win doesn’t feel as good because you didn’t actually play,” Kirstyn said.

Katelyn knows it’s been rough for her sister to be separated from the sport she loves, and has taken this experience as a lesson.

“Kirstyn’s knee injury has shown me that it can happen to anyone and I should really appreciate playing sports while I have the opportunity,” Katelyn said.

The two sisters have a strong bond, and Katelyn has done her best to help Kirstyn while she was on crutches.

“I’ve tried to encourage her and help her stay positive as she goes through [physical therapy],” Katelyn said.

Over the summer, Kirstyn is planning to do the same offseason workout as the other girls. Until then, she is focusing on upper body and ab workouts.

Next season, she hopes to return to her goalkeeper position and later play collegiate soccer at the Div. I or II level. She also plans to play basketball again.

“I definitely think the injury has changed her, because she has realized how much sports mean to her and she’s working hard to recover from her injury.” Katelyn said.

Although this injury has made things tough for Kirstyn, her positive attitude remains.

“[The injury] has made me realize that not every game is a given,” Kirstyn said. “You should play every game like it is your last, because it might be.”