WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

The Bulldogs give it their all against Austin High

9/26 through 9/29 Weekend Sports Review
The ‘Dawgs scheduled the Austin High Maroons for homecoming on Friday, September 29.
Nick Wood
WR Carmine Elisarrarazz (Senior) dodges a tackle after a punt return. The dawgs had a total of 194 passing yards and 119 rushing yards this game.

The Lady ‘Dawgs began the second half of district play at home against Westlake on Tuesday, September 26. Dropping the first two sets 25-13 and 25-23, the Lady ‘Dawgs fought back to win the third set 25-19, and the fourth set 25-20.

With the chance to complete the reverse sweep, the Lady ‘Dawgs defeated the Chaparrals in the fifth and final set 15-11 to take home the victory. Junior captain Simone Baskin played an instrumental role in the game.

“I’m very proud of the team’s resiliency to fight back after losing the first two sets,” Baskin said. “We know we have the talent to compete for a playoff spot, we just have to fight for it, and we showed that fight on Tuesday.”

The Lady ‘Dawgs then hosted the Austin High Maroons on Friday, September 29. Having been defeated by the Maroons earlier in the season, the Lady ‘Dawgs struggled in the first set, losing 25-13. Once again though, the Lady ‘Dawgs responded and defeated the Maroons in three straight sets, 25-22, 25-20, and 25-16 respectively. 

After two strong performances, the Lady ‘Dawgs remain seventh in district, three spots out of the playoffs. Currently sitting at 4-6 in district play, and 23-12 overall, the Lady ‘Dawgs aim to use the momentum from the Westlake and Austin High wins to close district play.

For football, the ‘Dawgs scheduled the Austin High Maroons for homecoming on Friday, September 29. Due to multiple costly turnovers, the ‘Dawgs found themselves trailing 17-14 at the half.

During the break, senior captain Colin Rice was elected as homecoming king. 

The ‘Dawgs bounced back in the third quarter when junior quarterback Cruz Tello connected with sophomore Rowan Wells for a 23 yard touchdown. The ‘Dawgs defense, having struggled in the third quarter throughout the season, held the Maroons scoreless in the third.

Despite the defense holding the Maroons at 17 through the third quarter, the offense was unable to capitalize and take commanding control of the game. As a result, the Maroons regained the lead at 24-21 in the fourth.

With just over a minute remaining, Tello tossed a 40 yard touchdown pass to senior Carmine Elisarraraz. Unable to convert the extra point, the ‘Dawgs held the lead at 27-24.

This lead was short lived though, as the ‘Dawgs allowed the Maroons to convert a deep completion on a crucial 3rd down that put them in field goal position. The Maroons were not interested in tying the game though, as, while time expired, the Maroons connected for a pass touchdown to defeat the ‘Dawgs 31-27.

Because of the loss, the ‘Dawgs fell to 2-2 in district play.