ALL EYES ON THE MUSIC: Choir teacher Aaron Bourgeois assists student with choir-led karaoke booth.
Bowie celebrates fine arts programs
Lucy Johnson, Entertainment Editor • March 4, 2024

As guitars are tuned and drums are tested, the cafeteria buzzes with student chatter. Students and teachers collaborated to put on the We Love Austin Music Showcase. Through collaboration amongst the fine...

Teacher + Student Tennis Tournament returns for a second year
Austin Ikard, Alex Edwards, and Will OlenickMarch 1, 2024

The Teacher + Student Tennis Tournament made a comeback this year as the tennis team organized its second annual event. Doubles matches were played with tennis players partnering up with teachers in the...

The Dawgs take the win against Anderson

RB Kayson Mathabela (Junior) receives the handoff and searches for a hole. Mathabela had 94 yards on the night.
The ‘Dawgs matched up against the Trojans on the gridiron on Friday, September 15, at Burger Stadium.

The Lady ‘Dawgs volleyball continued district play with a home game against the Johnson Jaguars on Tuesday, September 12. Starting off strong, the Lady ‘Dawgs jumped out to a 2-0 lead by winning the first two sets 25-19 and 25-23. 

This success did not continue though, as the Lady ‘Dawgs dropped three straight sets 25-15, 25-17, 15-10. As a result, the Lady ‘Dawgs fell to 1-4 in district play.

Then, on Friday, September 15, the Lady ‘Dawgs faced off against the Anderson Trojans at home. Battling to a 1-1 tie through two sets, the Lady ‘Dawgs ultimately lost 3-1. Now 1-5 in district play, the Lady ‘Dawgs sit in seventh place, three spots out of a playoff spot with six games left in the season.

Likewise, the ‘Dawgs matched up against the Trojans on the gridiron on Friday, September 15, at Burger Stadium. The ‘Dawgs jumped to a 20-9 lead at the half but struggled to produce offensively in the third quarter and found themselves trailing 30-27 going into the fourth quarter.

Thanks to a Cruz Tello rushing touchdown, the ‘Dawgs needed a defensive stop to seal a 34-30 victory. This came at the hands of senior defensive back Matthew Martinez who snagged an interception to clinch the game. 

“It was definitely a relief,” Martinez said. “At that point in the game, you just want to put the ball in the hands of your offense so they can drain the clock, so it felt great to be able to make the play that sealed the win.” 

Overall, the ‘Dawgs sit 2-2 with an undefeated district record. Following the win, the ‘Dawgs refocus their attention to playing at Dripping Springs on Friday, September 22.

In other news, cross country competed in the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islander Splash event. The ‘Dawgs finished fourth overall, while the Lady ‘Dawgs finished eighth with a strong individual second-place performance from Miah Macaulay.