WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Lady Dawgs volleyball game recaps

The Lady Dawgs faced off against the Lake Travis Cavaliers in their second district matchup of the week on 9/1.

The ‘Dawgs volleyball squad faced off against the Austin High Maroons on 8/29. Unfortunately, tainted by injuries, the Lady ‘Dawgs were defeated in three straight sets. As a result, the ‘Dawgs fell to 0-2 in district play, as they were defeated in their district opener in four sets against Westlake last week. 

In the loss, the ‘Dawgs fell 25-16, 25-21, and 25-18 in the first, second, and third sets respectively. Despite being swept, junior captain Simone Baskin believes that the team is a few pieces away from being very successful.

“We can improve on covering, which is something we’ve been working on a lot in practice,” Baskin said. “It’s still an issue, as well as trusting other teammates in serve receive, but we just need to keep working.”

As a captain, it is Baskin’s responsibility to make sure the team is always giving their all, while simultaneously fostering a positive environment.

“I can improve by using my captain position to be more vocal and talk to other girls during the game,” Baskin said. “That way we can figure out exactly what we need to do to improve.” 

The Lady ‘Dawgs faced off against the Lake Travis Cavaliers in their second district matchup of the week on 9/1. In their first district match with home advantage, The Lady ‘Dawgs fell to the Cavaliers 3-0 Now, 0-3 in districts, the Lady Dawgs are 18-9 overall. 

In other news, Cross Country attended a meet on 8/31. With dominant performances from sophomore Griffin Hummel, senior Kaiser Kothmann, and senior Reiser Johnson, all of whom finished in the top 10 runners, the Dawgs took home first place. The Lady ‘Dawgs led by Willa Bock and Miah McAulay finished in second place. 

Lastly, football traveled north to Cedar Ridge for their second and final non-district game of the season. After a tough loss last Thursday vs. Vista Ridge, Bowie football looked to rebound against Cedar Ridge.

The Bulldogs came out firing, forcing a fumble early on a punt leading to junior Cruz Tello’s first rushing touchdown of the game to put the Bulldogs up 7-0. Senior Cole Jaynes then grabbed his one of two interceptions in the game putting Bowie in great field position leading to a 14-0 start in the first quarter.

“It feels pretty to help the team out,” Jaynes said. “We’d [Bowie] seen on film that he [the quarterback] likes to throw it high so I played back and the second he threw it I knew it was mine.”

Cedar Ridge would answer with a turnover of their own forcing a fumble on Cruz Tello which they returned for a touchdown, making the score 14-7. Bowie would respond with a score of their own as senior Seediya Jabbi knocked in the first field goal of the year continuing his perfect kicking season through two games.

“It felt good to hit a field good to extend our lead,” Jabbi said. “I’ve been consistently practicing with the team and being a lot more confident, which has helped me play like I’ve been playing.”

Cedar Ridge would respond in the second quarter, throwing a 20 yard touchdown to pull within three before halftime, with the final score at halftime being 17-14 Bulldogs. Bowie would come out and control the tempo, holding the ball for most of the third and fourth quarters.

Cedar Ridge would ultimately control the fourth quarter however, scoring ten points including a late touchdown to put Cedar Ridge up 24-17 with 30 seconds left. Bowie would fall just short falling to 0-2 on the year. Bowie’s will open district play next Friday against Del Valle at Del Valle.