Climate survey reveals student body attitude

Kiran Patel, News Editor

Bullying, teacher-student respect, student engagement, and academic confidence are just a few of the areas that the AISD climate survey, a poll administered to AISD students, targets.

In the spring of every school year, AISD conducts a student climate survey to gather statistics on the environments of each AISD school. The report assists district officials and Bowie administration to understand what areas need improvement. The area that garners the most concern is under student engagement, specifically in regards to a student’s level of enjoyment in school.

“I think the reason that many students claim they do not enjoy the work they complete in class is that format is antiquated and feels disconnected to the rest of their lives,” school improvement facilitator Ruth Ann Widner said.

Using the survey, administrators and teachers come up with ideas to improve student’s school experience.

“I think that we could offer some more engaging courses at Bowie,” principal Mark Robinson said. “I feel like…we haven’t added new courses in a while, really hands on classes that have college and career connections.”

Bowie plans to develop technology-based learning by introducing personal student computers in the spring semester, as well as the recently implemented ‘Blend.’

“I think that there’s a lot that we can do with technology and instruction that make it more engaging to students,” Robinson said. “That is really where I feel like there was promise with blend that maybe hasn’t been fully realized, we still have to work out the kinks, but I’m hoping that we’re growing in that direction.”

Student feedback is the main purpose for taking the climate survey, and it serves as a way to give adults a deeper understanding of a student’s needs to obtain a positive learning experience.

“Work would be much more enjoyable if it were personalized projects, experience based learning, and engaging assignments,” senior Jimmy Counihan said. “I’m confident when I say the large number of people that don’t like class work transcends GPA and class rank, because even AP classes are teaching to a test so the class work can be bland and extremely serious.”

Although the numbers are not drastic, there was a decrease in students feeling recognized and praised for their work.

“I think letting kids know they are making a difference in our school community will help, and we see that done now with morning announcements- hopefully this can expand,” teacher Jessica Davis said.

As a primary area of concern, low student engagement, is something that both administrative officials and students want to find a solution to.

“Bowie administrators can improve engagement by finding additional funding for field trips and better classroom materials, giving teachers more professional development days to improve their craft and create new lesson plans, and inspire connectivity between classes,” Counihan said.

While staff and students solutions to these problems differ slightly, their end goal is the same; that students enjoy coming to school.

“One thing administrators can do to improve the overall climate at school is to thoughtfully plan the course offerings each year to ensure that students have options to take courses that allow for student innovation and creativity, and that match the student’s’ interests,” Widner said. “Our school leaders should also promote activities that support the social and emotional well-being of students.”

Although the climate survey shows a few clear areas that need more attention and improvement , the overall results name Bowie as a welcoming and respectful environment.

“I describe the classroom as this collaboration of learners, with the teacher as a learner and with the students as learners,” Robinson said. “Us learning from each other to understand what it takes in order for students to be able to learn and feel like that they are having fun.”

Art by Victoria Newell