Mountain biking team rides to victory in recent season

Greyson Hughes, Staff Writer

With the year close to ending, many of Bowie’s sports teams are either ending for the year, or starting for next year. The Bowie Mountain Biking Team is starting to end its year of racing and some are even ending their final year on the team. Senior Cristina Cepeda is on the varsity team and is her final year to race at Bowie.

“It has been a bittersweet year.” Cepeda said. “It has been challenging to compete in varsity this year but it has also been rewarding.”

At the beginning of it all, senior Chad Bobbitt Jr. and his family started the Mountain Biking Team here at Bowie, but this is his final year here along with Cepeda.

“I started the team because I had been racing for 10 years and it was something I loved to do and I wanted to share it with other people who like it as well.” Bobbitt Jr. said. “I knew my dad would make an excellent coach and I saw a chance for the team to get started so I took it. In three years I haven’t had one person come up to me and tell me they didn’t have fun or they didn’t learn anything from their time with the team, so I’d say starting the mountain biking team was and still is worth it.”

With both Bobbitt Jr. and Cepeda leaving this year they both seem to be leaving the team in good faith.

“I have helped the team get started and it’s great to see that after Chad and I graduate the team will be able to grow and thrive.” Cepeda said. “It makes me happy to know they will do great next year but sad since I can no longer race in the high school series.”

With more people joining the team next year and some remaining the efforts and skill of the team will grow stronger each year.

“It has been amazing to see how the team has grown over the years from when we first started it.” Cepeda said. “We have done really great this season and grown so much since our first year.”

The team’s efforts and progress this year was amazing and leaves a, “Wish you were there,” imprint on the supporters.

“The Bowie mountain bike team did their best ever, this year we got 3rd in state, and was also the first year we had a middle school team that won 1st in state for middle school.” Bobbitt Jr. said. “Every single person on both our middle school and high school team worked hard to earn what we achieved and I know from the bottom of my heart that they will only get better in years to come.”

With Bobbitt Jr’s. pride and performance on the team, his dad and coach, “Chad Bobbitt Sr.”, is also amazed by his performance this year.

“It’s bittersweet, and he is a huge asset to the team.” Bobbitt Sr. said. “He’s great at talking to the less experiences riders about race tactics or walking them through how to navigate a tough section of trail, but in those regards, he will be missed, but I can’t wait to see him race at the collegiate level and possible into the pro levels.”

With his son leaving and others leaving too Bobbitt Sr. will have to decide if he will keep coaching for Bowie after they leave.

“I will continue to coach the team because this team is such a huge asset to the school and community and each year I hear stories of how this team has strengthened family relationships.” Bobbitt Sr. said. “Mountain bike racing/riding is something that an entire family can do together, and as a father, I love when I get go out and just ride with Alexis and Chad Jr.  It’s great to be out in nature and talking with them, and besides, the competitor in me will always want to see Bowie go head to head with the other great Texas  powerhouse teams like Lake Travis and San Antonio.”

With the coach staying this means the team will always excel throughout many years at Bowie in the future, but that may be unachievable without the school’s support.

“I think the most important improvement would have to be more support and involvement from the school. Most people don’t even know there is a mountain bike team for Bowie so it would be great if the word really got out there, and also we got 3rd as a team in the whole state of Texas and our school doesn’t even know,” Cepeda said.

With these tips, the school should start supporting a growing sport and something that is starting to become a part of Bowie.