UNDER THE SPOTLIGHT: Bex Cao-Spurlock took the stage with Jolene by Dolly Parton. Cao-Spurlock is one of the directors for Cabaret and sang Jolene for the 70’s section of the show.
Choir Cabaret continues a tradition
Katie Grumet, Entertainment Editor • May 17, 2024

Friends and family eagerly fill the auditorium seats. As people begin to settle, the lights dim and the first few students take their spots on stage. The show is starting. The show begins in the decade...

WHAM BAM, THANK YOU MA’AM: The Wham Bam Bagel truck stands proud in it’s pink glory. This truck is located at 415 E St Elmo Rd, in Austin Texas.
Battle of the bagels: Casper, Wholly Bagel, Wham Bam & Einstein
Val Tikhonova, Dispatch Reporter • May 17, 2024

Bagels, as you may know, are a very popular snack or meal for anyone. You can put anything you want on them from cream cheese and marmalade to nutella and potato chips. They became popular in the United...

Lady ‘Dawg swimming at state meet

Sophomore swimmer Allie Dunn is a forced to reckoned with in the 500-meter freestyle
TAKE+A+BREATH%3A+On+the+final+stretch+of+her+race%2C+Allie+Dunn+pushes+herself+to+the+limit.+Dunn+had+a+successful+second+season+as+a+Bulldog+swimmer.+
Photo Courtesy of Allie Dunn
TAKE A BREATH: On the final stretch of her race, Allie Dunn pushes herself to the limit. Dunn had a successful second season as a Bulldog swimmer.

Sophomore swim superstar Allie Dunn glides through the water pushing herself to the limit, stroke after stroke. Dunn made her first appearance at the UIL Swimming State Meet competing in the five-hundred-meter freestyle.

Dunn is one of the two swimmers at Bowie to final during the Texas State finals this year. This was Dunn’s first time qualifying for state, let alone making finals at state.

“I was very happy when I qualified for state,” Dunn said. “I worked very hard this season and to accomplish this goal was an amazing experience for me.”

Dunn ended up finishing 14th in the event, with a time of 5:02.38. It isn’t easy for a swimmer to qualify for state. First, they have to compete in regionals, which acts as the qualifier for state. Only a small number of swimmers per event can qualify for the state finals.

“Regionals is very competitive because everyone knows that is their way to state,” Dunn said. “You can also get a call-up, which happened in my case, but usually only 16 kids in each event can compete at state.”

The effort needed to achieve the state level is very high. The work ethic they have needs to be consistently very high. One of Dunn’s swim mates, sophomore Audri Harris complimented the hard work Dunn always puts into her workouts.

“She is a very hard worker this year for the swim team,” Harris said. “She got the highest points award meaning she scored the most points out of everyone on the team.”

Freshman Mia Broccolo believes that Dunn is a hard worker. Dunn however, stands out to all of her teammates. Broccolo expressed her praise on Dunn.

“Dunn is inspiring because of her dedication to swimming at all times,” Broccolo said. “She inspires everyone to be their best constantly and that with work put in, we can be great swimmers.”

Dunn inspires others but she also has gotten inspired but people herself. Dunn has her sister, Audrey, to thank for getting her into the swimming world. Even without her, Dunn thinks she would have found her love for swimming anyway.

“I have been swimming since I was five years old after I watched my sister start swimming,” Dunn said. “She was good at swimming and I kind of got forced into it, but I am very glad I was in the end.”

As well as being a hard worker while swimming, Dunn puts in the effort during school too. Dunn would like to continue to swim throughout college and also after graduation.

“I am planning to go to college to swim except I don’t have any preference yet on where,” Dunn said. “I don’t care if I go Division 1, Division 2, or Division 3, I just want to keep swimming.”

Dunn believes that her swimming will help her later in life when she needs to find a job. Her dedication and determination to swim gives her the qualities needed for life outside of sports.

“I think it’ll open a lot of doors for me in the future,” Dunn said. “It has improved my work ethic. Also, it has taught me to get work done early because I miss quite a bit of school for meets and competitions.”

Since Dunn is enthusiastic about going to college to swim, her personality shows her energy towards college. Harris thoroughly enjoys Dunn’s presence in the pool but also out of the pool.

“Dunn’s personality is quiet but when you know her she’s one of the funniest people I know,” Harris said. “She can and will make you laugh all the time and just overall has a very goofy personality.”

Dunn loves to show her silly side at practice. This doesn’t mean that she isn’t focusing on her goals. Dunn practices multiple times a week and maximizes the effort she puts into her practices

“I do goof around at practice but I also make sure to do the best I can,” Dunn said. “I know that the effort I make in practice can correspond to how I do at the meets and to where I end up finishing.”

In the District 26-6A Championship, Dunn finished third in the two-hundred yard freestyle. Advancing her to the next level.

“Since Dunn now competed at state, we all know now that we have the potential and ability to do the same,” Broccolo said. “I have so much respect for her and I feel pushed now to keep giving it my all.”

Dunn has become a role model for many swimmers in the Bowie program. Broccolo expressed her like for Dunn and the reason she keeps swimming.

“Dunn has become an example for the standard of Bowie swim after her amazing season,” Broccolo said. “I thoroughly enjoy watching her swim and the style of her swimming is incredible, making me strive for more.”

Dunn has many more years of swimming ahead of her, but she is already giving advice to the younger generation regarding swimming. She believes that anyone can become great with the right amount of hard work and dedication.

“My advice is even if you think you can’t do it anymore, you can,” Dunn said. “I had a point where I was burnt out. You just need to find the right people to swim with and you’ll have a blast.”