WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Athlete Assert: Senior Point Guard aiming to lead ‘Dawgs to playoffs

LOOKING OUT: Senior Guard Mason Wasserburger passes the ball to senior forward, Bennett Seiler.
The varsity team hosted the Dripping Springs Tigers on Tuesday, December 5. With an exciting matchup and a great turnout from the student section, the Dawgs put up a great fight

This season, we’re all expecting to compete for the district championship and to get first place, and we feel like we can beat anyone. We’re 10-4 right now and 1-1 in district.

That being said, we’re in a really stacked district for basketball with teams like Westlake and Lake Travis. There are many high ranked state teams in our district and we understand that it’s also easier said than done to win games.

We also want to not only make the playoffs, but make a long playoff run. Our bi-district is full of good teams, but if we can get hot shooting and play good defense we can match-up against anybody.

Last year, obviously the season didn’t end the way I wanted it to. We were in the top four in the district all the way until pretty much the last week of the season, and we ended up losing to Anderson in a “do-or-die” game to advance to the playoffs.

I got hurt early into the game, and although I tried to play on it, it ended up being a pretty long-term ankle injury. Getting hurt and losing the do or die game was a pretty heartbreaking ending to my junior season. It left a bad taste in my mouth all spring, because we fell just short of a potential playoff run.

I feel like this team has a lot of scorers and play-makers, which is good because every game a different player can step up and help us win. That is the biggest difference between this year and last year, and that’s why I think we can be so successful.

We’ve lost some games we shouldn’t have this season, but I believe we’ve turned the corner and have a renewed focus going into every game, especially district, so something like last year doesn’t happen again.

After losing to Dripping Springs our first game, we managed to get a win against Austin High, which was super important. Getting our first district win gave us confidence to move through the rest of our schedule.

We have a lot of versatility and size with the lineups we’ve been using, and that has also won us games. We shoot a ton of three pointers, but we are also finding ways to win on poor shooting nights, which is what, in my opinion, makes us a good team.

Only two games into the season, there is still a lot of basketball to play, but I feel that we have the talent to finish over some tough teams and qualify for the playoffs. We also have generated a good crowd for all of our home games this season too, so that has definitely boosted our desire to win.

The support combined with our ability to win in games that we struggle to score in really defines our team. If we can continue to attract support and close out tough games, there’s not a doubt in my mind that we can compete against and beat some of the best teams in Texas.

*Have a sports opinion or story you want to share? Contact [email protected] to be the next feature columnist.