Dress code enforcement remains drastically strict

The administrative staff crack down on student attire during school days

From jbhs.org student code of conduct handbook page 14.

There’s no such thing as a moral dress, it’s people who are moral or immoral.
Saying a person’s dress is immoral is like saying that a gun picks itself up and shoots someone.
Today it’s not uncommon to see a girl in short shorts or a guy in athletic shorts and a tank top, it almost seems like they want to show as much skin as possible. And the fact is, they do. Today’s vision of beauty is perfect skin, soft hair, and a good wardrobe.
Short shorts on girls and tank tops on guys are not that uncommon to see around school, especially in the Texas heat. But there is no reason that there should be a dress code banning them.
Guys try to show off their muscles as much as they possibly can to impress the girls trying to show off as much chest and legs trying to impress the boys.
Sometimes they can go so far as to make themselves look ridiculous and don’t accomplish anything but embarrassing themselves.
One would think that since adults were teenagers they could realize that dress code is irrelevant, and would try to sympathize with us. But turns out that they think dress code to be the most important thing in the world, not the fact that our school is literally falling apart.
During the first two weeks of school half the air conditioning was out. Last time it rained the roof was leaking and the halls were covered in water.
First off, many people I see in the hall is breaking dress code in some form or other and half the time the assistant principals and monitors don’t even enforce the rules.
Almost nobody in the school takes the dress code seriously but they still pass school just fine. Basically this completely contradicts the idea of dress code, proving it irrelevant.
Second, kids should be able to show people their personality and eventually if there is no dress code they will learn to control themselves and dress like a student coming to school for school.
Teenagers are in their most rowdy years and trying to make them follow silly rules is only going to make them want to break them even more.
If the dress code was really necessary then the monitors and APs would enforce it with more seriousness, most people breaking dress code could easily walk by one of them and not have anything happen to them.
Thirdly, high school teenagers aren’t children anymore, they’re about to go into the real world and they won’t get anywhere in life if they are all the exact same.
Diversity in personality is one of the most important things in this world. If dress code restricts them to look the same as the next person then we’d end up with a bunch of zombies on the work force.
Our principals and staff think dress code to be the most important thing in the world, and don’t think we’re not grateful for all that they do, we are, but dress code is one of their worse ideas.
To sum things up, dress code is, simply put, useless. It isn’t enforced properly, it isn’t taken seriously, it isn’t diversifying the generation, and it isn’t effective.  by Staff Writer Elyas Levens