Junior reports football games through Fanstand coverage

Mia Barbosa, Managing Editor

When a life full of dancing eventually ruined her knees junior Haley Ohlen transitioned from the dance floor to football sidelines when she discovered a new passion.

Through an organization called FanstandATX Ohlen became more invested in  her love for football when she filled the role of being an iReporter. She now contributes to the product of weekly videos that includes highlights of each football game.

“A senior from last year, Maggie Murray, was involved in it so when I was injured from dancing I asked her if I could do it with her, and from then on I was a trainee,” Ohlen said.

Having to leave dance was hard for Ohlen to face, but Ohlen’s mom, Jeana Ohlen, feels that Haley handled the transition in her life beautifully.

“Internally she was trying to refocus her life and then Fanstand just came along because she knew so much about football already since her brother plays college ball and her dad used to play as well,” Jeana said. “It was a blessing in that way.”

While being on the sidelines of a varsity game surrounded by the athletes can be intimidating for some high school reporters Haley handled it well.

“Haley has always been an outwardly confident kid and I think that it took confidence on her part to have a good rapport with the boys so that she could relate to them,” Jeana said.

One of Haley’s favorite parts about reporting for Fanstand is being able to share it with the players as she builds friendships with them.                     

“I’ve built so many great relationships with all of the players on the team all the boys come up to me and they’re always like ‘did you get my touchdown?’ or ‘did you get my interception?’” Haley said. “I love getting to show everyone what they can do through my filming.”

The boys on the team also enjoy the Fanstand coverage because of Haley and the other reporters’ talent.

“It’s just cool to have them there,” senior Matt Forrest said. “She and the rest of the reporters do their jobs really well and it gives us a cool reflection of how we played that night with cool highlights and plays.”

While the players respect the reporters at their games, Haley also enjoys the boys presence and what they do.

“The sidelines during football season is just so great because most of the boys have such ambition and passion,” Haley said. “ All they want to do is win so it’s so interesting to me that I get to capture that raw emotion and talent.”

Haley’s interest in the sport and players has helped her videography skills over time.

“From last year to now her footage has improved so much because now she knows what to look for and what angle to get,” Jeana said. “It’s more of an art than just turning on a video camera, I’m very proud of her.”

To the players, Haley is capturing the special moments of the season is meaningful so they can reflect on their time with the team.

“I really enjoy watching them since football is such a big part of my life now and Fanstand is definitely a part of how I’m making memories,” Forrest said.

While the team values Haley’s work for the nostalgic aspects her coverage also gives them an opportunity to be scouted.

“I do it so that the boys get exposure so that they can transition into college football and hopefully get a scholarship.” Haley said. “Also, Fanstand is something so interactive and something I genuinely want to succeed at so that I can possibly study broadcasting journalism in college.”

Through Fanstand many doors have been opened up for Haley as well as for the players.

“To have an organization like that just be so supportive of young people is great,” Jeana said. “To have something like this not only for the boys but also for someone with an interest in journalism and reporting is amazing.”

While Haley is unsure of where reporting will take her in life Fanstand has changed her love for the game.

“Football is basically what my family lives and breathes,” Haley said. “It’s pretty natural for football to always be watched and talked about but Fanstand has definitely made my love for the sport grow.”

POST WIN INTERVIEW: After the varsity football team beat Vista Ridge 52 to 31, junior Haley Ohlen conducts an interview with senior Quintavious Buckner. Ohlen interviews players from the team only after Bowie wins a game so that it can be included in the Fanstand videos. PHOTO BY Mia Barbosa