New bulldog logo soon to be created due to trademark issue

Mia Barbosa, Managing Editor

The Bowie bulldawg, a mean-looking, snarling, bulldawg staring rival schools down at every sporting event. But Bowie isn’t the only ones using the iconic dawg.

Gonzaga University also uses the bulldawg logo,  and informed AISD that unless Bowie stops using the trademark, they run the risk of getting sued by the university.

This issue is critical to the athletic department because they will have to change their uniforms and equipment with new original logos or the school will face the risk of getting sued by Gonzaga University.

“It was kind of weird time this year right before season starts we weren’t really able to do anything this year but in future we have to use a different logo,” football coach Ty Branyon said. “This seems a bit odd because there are a bunch of teams out there that use bulldog as their mascot and all of them are different.”

The school currently can prevent any further creation of products using the plagiarized logo and start the creation of a new one.

“It’s trademarked, so we should change soon before Gonzaga actually does something about it,” sophomore Ibrahim Abduljabbar said. “Legal issues are always complicated.”

The issue between the school and Gonzaga University over the logo has never been brought up previously, however, now that the problem has been addressed a lawsuit may be in the school’s future if the cease and desist is ignored.

“I don’t see why this is an issue I knew Gonzaga University and Bowie had similar logos,” sophomore Alex Paulson said. “Probably many people already knew this because of March Madness tournament.”

While the trademark issue may have been known by some students at school the fact of the matter is that now a new logo now has to be made.

“Gonzaga had the image first, so I think we should get our own logo using this as an opportunity,” Paulson said. “Having our own logo is better for our reputation than copying somewhere else’s.”

Despite the situation being stressful for some people, the school is looking forward to the creation of a new logo.

“I took the crisis as opportunity,” Robinson said. “I came back and talked to some of the graphic design teachers here about using this opportunity for us to develop our own logo.”

Art by: Callie Richards