Bella and Haley’s Band

Douglas Smith, Online Writer

The record button is hit and met with the melodies of song coming from sophomores Haley Peck and Bella Lufschanowski as they add yet another song to their band’s lineup. The pair have known each other since they were in 7th grade and have been making music together for almost all of those years.

They have recorded many songs featuring their particular talents since then, and have enjoyed the benefits of collaboration. Despite their current success, their music wasn’t always in a solid direction.

“It was kinda serious but it never really went anywhere which kinda sucks because putting that much effort into something and it not going anywhere can be frustrating,” Lufschanowski said.

The girls are both talented in singing and playing the guitar, which is obvious in their music. Although only having these tools might limit the diversity of their music, they find that the guitar’s collaboration with singing suits their desired style and genre comfortably. Having a relaxed outlook on their position also allows Peck and Lufschanowski to switch off. “I would say I’m the chord guitar because I like chords more,” Lufschanowski said. “I studied jazz for a while so I learned some pretty complex chords.”

As they have progressed in their music, Peck and Lufschanowski have often found themselves influenced by others bands from both past and present. This has led to the possibility of incorporating new genres of music such as electronic and alternative. “Bella’s more inspired by different bands, but I’m more on both ends of the extreme so I like bands like The Cramps, and The Clientele,” said Peck. “I think the most important way to answer this question is how Bella and I are so confident in each other’s tastes, but it’s a gentle collide, i think that’s a good way to describe it, and I think it’s good that we don’t like all the same music because then we might be producing stuff that all sounds the same.”

For a new band another challenge can be deciding what to take the most inspiration from, but also trying to avoid sounding too similar to bands of the past. For Peck and Lufschanowski this often has them wondering about their music’s direction.

“You can’t make a song that sounds like a Nirvana song, you have to make new stuff. I think it’s good that we make such a wide range that allows us to make music that influences so many people,” said Lufschanowski.

Having only two people in the band can also lead to frustration among its members however. While both Peck and Lufschanowski feel that they work well together, they have often yearned for a stronger rhythm in their music which might be found in new people and instruments. “The thing is Bella and I are just the two of us, but what we’d really like to do is get our friends, Liz Eperson, who’s a base player, and Olivia Cruz, who used to play drums, so we’re trying to get her back into that,” said Peck. “That’s another problem. No one that we know that lives conveniently close to us who’s a girl wants to be in the band and I don’t want to have to drive 45 minutes away for band practice,” said Lufschanowski. “We do make a lot of music but we just can’t complete it because we don’t have everyone we need.” While making their music, Peck and Lufschanowski have long had the support and admiration of their friends and family. Sometimes it’s in the form of praise, and other times they might get some outside support in their music.

“The girls have always had my support and i still love the music that they make,” Peck’s mother Joan Robinson said