Bowie dares to act downtown

Junior Chloe Byars pushes her hair away from her face at ZACH theatre auditions. Throughout the year, all performers practiced vigorously for the fine arts program in different events.

Carissa Duran

Avila Dye, Staff Writer

Austin’s best and brightest youth musical theatre performers gathered on Saturday, September 12 to audition for ZACH Theater’s Pre-Professional Company, or PPC.

PPC is a program designed to prepare young and aspiring actors, singers, and dancers for college and the professional world.
“ZACH Theatre’s Pre-Professional Company consists of some of Austin’s most dedicated young performers from all areas of the city,” PPC assistant director Josh Weschler said. “Company members meet weekly for training for voice, dance, and acting, as well as preparing and performing in exciting citywide events.”
Almost 160 high school students auditioned this year, however, only 40 students we are accepted. All four of the Bowie students who auditioned with earned a spot in the company.
“I decided to join because I know it’s a great opportunity not only for experience but for college and the professional world of theatre as well,” junior Chloe Byars said. “I want to learn how to better myself as a performer and watch my friends grow as well.”
While Bowie (as well as several other high schools in the greater Austin area) is well-known for quality fine arts programs, PPC also enriches the education of students who wish to pursue theatre in college and beyond with lessons on technique and workshops with individual focus lead by professionals.
“It has definitely given me the technique that I need to be a competitive performer,” senior Leonela Hernandez said. “My wonderful teachers and friends have made me a better dancer, singer, and actress by challenging myself and trying always to be better.”
Not only do students in PPC get professional training, they also get opportunities to perform in a professional setting, something they might not get the chance to do with their high school.
“During the year of training we get to perform in Red Hot and Soul Gala, the Boys and Girls Gala, the Dell’s Children Hospital Gala, the Chuy’s Parade, and we also have our own showcase at the end of the year,” said Hernandez.
PPC unites students from all around the Austin area who may, without the program, have seen each other as rivals due to the often competitive nature of auditioning and performing. Instead, it encourages them to work as an ensemble and to support their friends as they grow as people and performers.
“It’s really like finding a family, a group of people who all are doing what they love and accepting one another,” junior Elizabeth Delgado-Savage said. “Everyone is so supportive of each other and it’s so fun to be with people that understand each other so well.”