POSING FOR THE CAMERA: Senior Brighton Toland stands outside Pavements doors. Although the thrift store has limited parking, it has a dedicated lot near the main entrance.
Quest for the best thrift store in Austin
Bentlee Toland, Feature Editor • April 30, 2024

Shopping for second-hand clothes used to be seen as a need. Now, thrifting clothes is considered less of an essential and more of a fashion statement. Austin is home to over 30 thrift stores and it has...

The solution to drug use
The solution to drug use
Sydney Murphy, J1 Reporter • April 29, 2024

Drug use is becoming more prominent at Bowie and faculty members and staff are not doing enough to prevent it. Teachers and faculty members should monitor students' behavior in the classroom and watch...

Bowie Basketball Defends Home Court With Tournament Victory

Gabby Bochey
Bowie hosted a varsity basketball tournament consisting of 8 teams from all around the state in several different divisions.

Beginning last Thursday, Bowie hosted a varsity basketball tournament consisting of 8 teams from all around the state in several different divisions.

The ‘Dawgs began the tournament with a convincing win over Lehman 56-28 Thursday afternoon, followed by a dominant 59-36 win over in-city rival Vandergrift. Junior Michael Lu is playing his first games on Varsity after being a starter on Junior Varsity last year.

“The wins early in the tournament really helped us build confidence and get us on the winner’s side of the bracket,” Lu said. “We bounced back really well after a tough loss just a few days before.”

On Friday, the ‘Dawgs continued their success with a win against LBJ 51-22 to etch a spot in the semifinal game against Manor. The defense for the ‘Dawgs proved vital as they took down Manor 63-46, giving them a spot against Carter in the Championship.

“We game planned really well for each team,” Lu said. “We played to our strengths and stayed patient when things didn’t go our way.” 

Carter, out of Dallas, Texas entered the game being ranked 8th in the state of Texas for 4a basketball. Both teams entered the championship game undefeated. The ‘Dawgs, however, prevailed once again. They led the whole game by shooting 82 percent from the free-throw line and forcing 7 steals.

“Winning the championship was super special,” Lu said. “We worked really hard for it and I’m glad we got it done.”