In the new online PSAT and SATs, the time to complete the tests have been shortened, but both previously separate math sections are now combined and a built-in calculator is always available.
Students and staff prepare for College Board changes
Alec Morse, Dispatch Reporter • February 22, 2024

Testing is a vital part of education and is used to show that you understand the subject. Test scores are also used by colleges to choose who they accept. Because of this, streamlining the testing process...

SOARING THROUGH THE SKY: A family enjoys their day out with their children at Cosmos Coffee. Even though Cosmic Coffee serves alcohol, this coffee shop is very family friendly for a perfect day.
Perfect Jitterbug Getaway at Cosmic Coffee
Fiona Padalino, Dispatch Reporter • February 21, 2024

Are you ever looking for that perfect shot of energy to help you throughout the day, but you just can’t find the right place? Well, I am here to help you quench that yearning for the perfect coffee drink....

Special teams completes ‘Dawgs in playoff push

Nick Wood
ICING ON THE CAKE: Senior kicker Seediya Jabbi kicks an extra point attempt after a ‘Dawgs touchdown. Jabbi has made 26 of his 29 point after attempts this season.

Taking a deep breath, senior kicker Seediya Jabbi readies himself for the ensuing play by mentally visualizing the ball soaring through the uprights. Nodding to the holder, Jabbi watches as the ball is snapped and spun, laces facing away from him.

Striding forward, Jabbi strikes through the center of the ball, propelling it into the air. Seconds later, thanks to Jabbi, the ‘Dawgs have added three points to the scoreboard. With a background in soccer, Jabbi originally began kicking for the ‘Dawgs during his sophomore year.

“I felt like I was naturally good at kicking,” Jabbi said. “I knew I had the potential to be good, so I stuck with it.”

Jabbi was first given the chance to kick for the varsity ‘Dawgs in the 2022 season, but was officially named the starting kicker this year as a senior. So far, Jabbi has accounted for two touchbacks and averages just over 46 yards each kick-off attempt.

“It felt good to have put in the work and it paid off,” Jabbi said. “The season has been going great and I’ve been playing well. It has been important for me to stay consistent. The team relies on me to make the easy points, so I need to do my job.”

Jabbi has statistically been one of the best kickers in the district, making 90% of his points after attempts. Furthermore, Jabbi has successfully converted on four of his six field goal attempts this season.

“The mental side of kicking is one of the biggest aspects,” Jabbi said. “You have to be confident when kicking. For me, it’s easy to have confidence because of the support group around me. My whole family goes to the games and my coaches support me fully.”

Coach Sam Miller is the special teams coordinator. His job is to determine the players that kick for the ‘Dawgs, and in doing so has determined Jabbi to be the best option for the team.

“When we’re looking for kickers and punters, we look for consistency,” Miller said. “Nowadays, kickers and punters specialize and we’ve had kids these last couple years that specialize in those traits and have done a great job for us.”

According to Jabbi, coach Miller has been instrumental in his on-field success.

“Coach Miller pays attention to how I play and helps me by figuring out what works for me to be successful,” Jabbi said. “Overall, he’s given me the chance to play and perform.”

While Jabbi specializes in kicking extra point attempts in field goals, senior Jacob Pulido is responsible for punting the ball. Pulido began punting his junior year and has quickly solidified himself as starting punter for the ‘Dawgs. 

“I felt like it was an easy position to play so I tried out,” Pulido said. “Now I don’t believe that at all. There’s always going to be a lot of pressure. This being said, if one of my punts is bad I try not to let it get to me. I know I will have another chance, and I know I can do better.”

Through nine games and 44 punts, Pulido has amassed a total 1310 punt yards, his longest being 46 yards. Overall, Pulido averages 30 yards per punt.

“I think everyone thinks that playing on special teams is super easy,” Pulido said. “Fans don’t understand how hard it is to get the ball to go where you want it to go.”