New languages now offered

Mo Orr, Online Editor-In-Chief

Next year students will have the opportunity to  take American sign language or Latin for credits

When signing up for future classes, students are required to have two credits for languages other than English. Previously, students had the choice between Spanish and French classes; next year students will have the opportunity to take American Sign Language (ASL) and Latin video classes.

Assistant Principal Susan Leos explained  that the class is part of an online proximity learning program.

“Basically it’s an online program where students do see a teacher, there’s some video of the lessons with a teacher hired by the proximity learning group,” Leos said. “There would probably be some type of teaching assistant who would monitor students in the sense of taking role and taking charge of student needs.”

However, the addition of ASL and Latin classes as offerings caused some upset for seniors like Jacob Smith.

“I think it would have been awesome to take American Sign Language,” Smith said. “Learning Latin could be beneficial to students who wish to go into the English or history field after they graduate.”

Junior Macy Coles plans to take a class of ASL this summer at Austin Community College to further expand her knowledge of the subject.

“I really wish that we had ASL when I first came to Bowie because I am fluent in sign language,” Coles said. “I think for those who don’t know ASL it would be beneficial to learn some basic signs to be able to communicate with deaf people.”

Freshman Brisza Isaola plans on taking ASL next school year to earn a helpful tool in life.

“Language barriers are frustrating to deal with, so being able to communicate with a wide range of people makes me feel connected to all kind of individuals,” Isaola said. “If the obstacle of language is removed from situations, providing services and help to others can happen faster.”

Isaola finds that learning languages is beneficial to those who are interested.

“Professions that include human services may deal with traveling to other countries or seeing clients that don’t speak your language.” Isaola said.

In order to be instituted into the school’s offerings, the classes must meet certain requirements.

“It’s about offering what we can to support student learning the best way we can,” Leos said. “I’m glad that we can offer more in our languages other than English department so that kids have more choice.”