Celebrating cultures at Bowie

Preston Rolls

Nyah Bernucho and Kaeleigh Chambers pair up in the assembly’s choreographed dance for the MCAC. The dancers also preformed at No Place for Hate.

Alyssa Duran, J1 Reporter

The Multicultural awareness club celebrates different cultures that are spread throughout the world by learning about different cultures, treating everyone equally, and fighting for equality.

“The purpose of the club is in its name naturally. To celebrate and bring awareness to the many cultures that are represented at Bowie with an overall goal to lead by example in our not only tolerance for other cultures but with our respect and celebrations of diversity in all its many forms,” teacher Amanda Pfeiffer said. “We strive to be diverse in our membership as well as in our opportunities to spread awareness and volunteer our time at school.”

The sponsors and leaders care about cultural awareness and supporting every culture.

“It’s important that students feel empowered by their cultural identities but also supported and equipped with tolerance and confidence when they are faced with intolerance and ignorance in the real world beyond high school,” Pfeiffer said.

The members of this club are very interested in spreading awareness and celebrating different cultures in the world by participating in certain activities to enlighten them.

“We are becoming more inclusive by letting people bring in a dish of their culture and explaining it, making announcements about important figures that are in a certain culture group, and creating dances to celebrate culture,” student Suen Odufuye said.

The club has created a step team for students to join and perform dances for people to see.

“We perform at different school events, and we will go to the capital so people can see the kind of impact we’re making,” student Adriana Villa said.

There’s a fine line between the demand for equality and the celebration of diversity, and the MCAC is the perfect group to balance it all

Multicultural Awareness Club teaches students that recognizing other people’s cultures is extremely important in this world, and encourages students to be accepting of everyone.

“The club has taught me that people aren’t really aware of the various aspects of other people’s cultures and that if you don’t do any seeking yourself you will continue to be ignorant,” Odufuye said.

Students notice and understand the importance and power of diversity, and demand a change in the lack of cultural awareness that there is.

“I joined the multicultural awareness club because I saw there was a lack of culture in Bowie,” Odufuye said. “People often don’t express, celebrate or even take pride in their culture and I wanted to see a change.”

The clubs sponsors believe that it is important to celebrate culture and take action in every opportunity there is to recognize different cultures.

“I wanted to cosponsor the MCAC because I believe diversity and intersectionality are two important, defining components of our society,” teacher Chrissy Hejny said. “It’s imperative that I be active in taking every opportunity to acknowledge, learn, teach, and celebrate diversity in all its forms.”

The club celebrates and learns more about different cultures all while helping students to feel empowered by their culture.

“There’s a fine line between the demand for equality and the celebration of diversity, and the MCAC is the perfect group to balance it all,” Hejny said.