Librarian aims for welcoming space

SCANNING BOOKS: Persyn checks out a book. She began working at the school this year. PHOTO BY Violet Glenewinkel

Abby Ong, Feature Editor

In between shelving books and other tasks, the new librarian, Steffanie Persyn, helps students out with various homework needs.

Persyn wants the library  to be a welcoming and useful space.

“The main goal for our library is that I want it to be a warm, welcoming space that is viewed as a communal space, that people come not just to get information or access to resources, but where people can come and have a sense of belonging,” Persyn said.

To accomplish this, Persyn has many ideas to implement.

“As a more strategic, specific goal, I want to update the library,” Persyn said. “I think it needs a little bit of TLC, tender love and care. I want to update the collection, add more digital resources for students, and bring in some more technology tools. And just on a really basic level, we need some comfortable seating, really comfortable and informal seating areas, and some charging stations, maybe a coffee bar.”

Persyn has already done a lot to improve the library.

“I’ve completely updated the library website, which I think is much more user-friendly and accessible,” Persyn said. “I’ve also gotten rid of a lot of books that are irrelevant and full of harmful stereotypes or erroneous information. I’ve ordered books to update the collection, specifically we’re adding to our manga or graphic novel section based on student input and requests.”

The new changes were noticed by students who use the library.

“They’ve definitely changed the layout,” junior Emily Breach said. “The new librarian is also more lenient about working in the library with friends and talking.”

Students appreciate Persyn’s friendly personality.

“I like the new librarian,” senior Hana Dole said. “She’s really nice and interacts with students by asking for suggestions like the charging stations.”

Persyn wants students to make use of the library.

“I want students to know that everyone is welcome here, and that their opinions matter,” Persyn said. “I’d love to hear how to better serve them. I wanted to add: keep reading, keep questioning, and cite your sources.”