Club feature: SAGA

Natalia Torres, Staff Writer

This week, a recurring topic on the announcements has been transgender rights. Bowie’s very own SAGA (Sexuality and Gender Alliance) club embraces LGBTQ+ students and encourages those in the community to be themselves.

The club is a safe space for all students at Bowie.

“I think that the kids really benefit from having a place to go that’s right here and sometimes at home it might not be a great situation so having a place at school that they can go to is advantageous for them.” The club’s president, senior Max Wood said.

Wood believes the club has a positive impact on the community.

“I think [the club] helps normalize a thing that wasn’t considered normal or good until relatively recently.” Wood said.

Although the club has different goals than many others, it’s still a place where student with common interests gather.

“It’s just like one of the clubs. You know, art club and a bunch of other clubs, it’s just like all the other ones.”  Wood said.

One goal of the club is to help LGBTQ+ students feel welcome and part of their community as much as possible.

“We try to have a good community that people will want to come back to every week.” Wood said.

The club has impacted all students at Bowie, since the club has established it’s a safe space for students to openly express themselves.

“More people are identifying because it’s safer now.” Wood said. “Our numbers grow more and more every year because there’s more freshman that feel better about who they are and that there’s a place for them.”

Wood has noticed a change over the years in the community at Bowie.

“They help me realize that our community is growing.” Wood said. “It’s encouraging to see that because it’s not something I saw as a freshman.”