Drop-On-In at lunchtime

Mo Orr, Staff Writer

Every school day during lunch, you may find yourself or any others you know sitting alone, possibly on your phone doing not much else. Our Bowie area social worker, Christine Hanlon, along with a few UT-Austin grad student interns, has a place for students to eat, while learning valuable skills to help create a calm, welcoming environment.

“The idea is to have some place to go at lunchtime and also to have some place where we can interact with each other, with face to face contact” says Hanlon, “And maybe even do some activities that are helpful to the students like some team building, stress management, things like that.”

Students were sent an email containing information about the lunch group, such as where it is and when it is, however some students heard from friends and teachers.

“I’ve been told by Mrs. Kellogg, who’s a scores teacher here,” said senior Tony Cantu, who comes to the lunch group as often as he can.

Cantu finds it enjoyable being in the lunch group, and after he eats his lunch, he draws or plays uno with other students.

““It’s very fun for me to do, especially when I don’t want to hang out with people in the cafeteria or in the courtyard,” said Cantu, “you just get to be in this wonderful room that’s quieter.”

The student graduate interns, Alex Buford, Diana Rose, and Mary Noel Thompson, will join the lunch group, spending time with students who come in while  talking to them.

“The interns, their internships are about getting ready to be counselors and social workers, and they’re wanting to gain experience with groups of students.” Said Hanlon.

Thompson, one of the interns mentioned, hopes to work hours towards her independent counseling license.

“I am open to helping out in any way I can,” Thompson said. “students coming in, making them feel more comfortable and welcome.”

Hanlon says how her personal motivation was walking around campus during lunch and seeing students sitting alone.

“I’ve noticed here at Bowie that some students don’t really have a spot to go at lunchtime that is comfortable and relaxing for them, where they can interact with other people.” Hanlon said. “So I’ve been wanting to do this for a while and so this semester is kind of an experiment to see if we can get it off the ground.”

In the email students received, it was noted that the drop on in lunch group offered snacks available for a 25 cent payment that goes to getting more snacks for the lunch group.

“Food is important, so i wanted to offer something just in case people didn’t have lunch so at least we have something to nourish people.” said Hanlon. “The reason why I ask for the 25 cent donation is because all I can do is buy the snacks myself because there’s not some snack fairy dropping off snacks to me. So if students just throw in a quarter for a snack then I’ll have enough to go back and buy more and replenish.”

Every Tuesday and Thursday, for both lunches, the drop on in lunch group provides a welcoming, safe environment for students to eat and hang out at.

“It’s perfect. Definitely perfect,” said Cantu. “Why say no? You just gotta go here.”