Kahoot and Classroom Games

Mo Orr, Website Team

While walking from your first class at Bowie to the last, it’s more than likely a student will find themselves on their phone, playing a questionnaire game on the subject they’re learning in class.

This isn’t as much of an exaggeration as it sounds; games like Kahoot, Socrative, Plickers, and Quizizz are some popular class-friendly games teachers will use to review subjects.

These games can get the class to be really loud, and that’s a reason why a lot of people I know really don’t like playing and reviewing for tests using these games. Sure, the yell of kids when they get questions wrong gets super tedious, but other than that, students are learning and reviewing the class in a fun way.

I really like these class-friendly games and how it allows students to have fun while doing a review with the rest of the class. Personally, they really help me study for tests, and they make a really good in-class group review. They always make me feel more confident when I’m about to take a test, and that helps me feel even better when I turn in my test.

Kahoot is usually what first comes to mind when I think of any class-friendly programs, just because of how much other students, and myself, like that specific game. Teachers just need an account, and they can personalize their own reviews for quiz or test reviews. I really like this because it isn’t a generated test for a grade, Kahoot actually feels like a review game that teachers have personalization over and students can enjoy.

Kahoot also makes students feel like as a class they’re taking a test together, but it’s far more easy-going and game-like, letting kids relax as they prepare for the grade they’re about to earn. It really helps students wrap around the concepts they’re learning a final time as practice.

One thing teachers may worry about is any students using the review to cheat, but I haven’t ever seen students cheat with any class-friendly games. These are fun games to help students learn, but cheating can be easily prevented. I don’t think any students will use the review to cheat, as these programs allow devices to be used, students will probably take the chance to use their phones or computers to review and grasp the topic, but I may be wrong.

Kahoot and any other fun class-friendly program seems awesome overall to use as review before a big test, can help students relax before earning a grade, and I think improves the confidence in a subject to a lot of students. It does help me, personally, and no matter what I’m reviewing, I always feel more certain about whatever I’m about to go over, and a reward for first place really makes it better.

Photo From https://www.tes.com/lessons/exv383IRCLpm2w/create-your-own-kahoot-quiz