Hip-hop dancer excels with passion

Dance shapes the life of a senior through leadership and hard work

Victoria Newell, Student Life Editor

Going to a school of roughly 3000 people, it’s nearly impossible to not find unique students. From performers to athletes, Bowie’s student body covers a large spectrum of talent. Of these people is senior Yulissa Reyes, a skilled hip-hop dancer.

Reyes is a performer on the hip-hop team at Balance Dance Studio. When Reyes discovered her passion for dance a few years ago, she began practicing and advancing. Along with the help of other girls, a teacher, and her own diligence, she has become a fantastic dancer among her peers.

“She’s always had natural talent, and through talent and training she’s advanced and become an excellent dancer,” Yulissa’s father Pedro Reyes said.

Yulissa is one of the oldest girls on the team and is also the team’s captain. This past year she has really stepped up and become a role model among the other dancers.

“She’s a really good leader, and a great dancer” sophomore and dancer Olivia Warren said.

She has also gained a high respect for responsibility through dance, and has applied that in other areas in her life.

“Her responsibility has reflected in her actual life- like in school- it has made her focus on wheres she’s going to go after senior year,” Reyes dance instructor, Crystal De La Rosa said.

On top of her amazing leadership skills, Yulissa has become a standout dancer. In a short amount of time, she has discovered something she’s truly passionate about, and is recognized by her friends as a fantastic performer.

“I love how it feels to be dancing, I can just be myself and not have to worry about anything,” Yulissa said.

She has trained and worked hard to be at the high level she’s at, and has improved her skills a lot over the past years.

“From where I started to where I am right now, I truly do think that I have progressed a lot,” Yulissa said.

She’s not the only one who thinks that she has progressed, De La Rosa has also seen her grow.

“I think she’s progressed more than she knows, and I’ve seen her really become a leader- she strives for perfection,” De La Rosa said.

She has also gone far enough to impact and impress people she doesn’t dance with. And her friends go out of their way to watch her perform.

“Yulissa is an amazing dancer, she is so good at what she does,” junior Sierra Webb said.

Reyes and her team competed for the first time this season on Sunday, November 22. They had some great beginning success at their first competition.

“We got first out of three on our large group dance, and second out of five for our small group dance,” Warren said.

Yulissa has also grown and matured through her leadership role and dancing ability.

“She looks more comfortable with herself since dancing, and when she’s dancing she looks more lively, she looks happy,” Webb said.

Yulissa also has big dreams for her future in dance as well, and where her talent can take her.

“I want to grow up and possibly be a back up dancer for someone or just be a part-time instructor,” Yulissa said.

Her family is also supportive of her dancing dreams as well, and are very encouraging.

“I believe that with a fine arts degree, Yulissa can possibly go far with her dancing abilities,” Pedro said.

De La Rosa has helped and mentored her through the process. They’ve talked out her goals for her future career and she has been encouraged to go to many dance conventions.

“She’s looking for the best options for her and her family.” De La Rosa said.

In the eyes of her peers, Reyes had grown tremendously as a dancer, and has really stepped up into her leadership role. She has great potential to do great things with her talent. And most importantly, she has found something she is genuinely passionate about