FAFSA delays cause missed chances
FAFSA delays cause missed chances
Madeleine Travis, Commentary Editor • June 9, 2024

Put yourself in a scenario where you’re applying for college and the thing that could make or break your acceptance just got delayed until December. All of your plans were to apply to college in October...

SHELVES STOCKED: The party section at Daiso Japanese retail store is stocked with numerous festive items. The store is located in Sunset Valley.
Daiso Japanese retail store location opened in Austin
Bentlee Toland, Review Editor • June 8, 2024

The bright lights shine on the customers filled with excitement after waiting in line to enter the new Daiso Japanese store at The Sunset Valley  5400 Brodie Ln Ste 990, Austin, TX 78745. It’s 10,000...

Baseball breakout into stardom

Junior Josh Gonzalez, steps up to the plate as a breakout player this season
UP+TO+THE+PLATE%3A+Junior+Josh+Gonzalez+locks+his+eyes+in+on+the+pitcher%2C+mounting+his+feet+on+the+base.+His+full+focus+all+on+the+upcoming+pitch%2C+Gonzalez+became+Bowie%E2%80%99s+breakout+player+of+the+season+after+steeping+in+for+Jaden+Corzine+after+his+injury.+
Arden Ray
UP TO THE PLATE: Junior Josh Gonzalez locks his eyes in on the pitcher, mounting his feet on the base. His full focus all on the upcoming pitch, Gonzalez became Bowie’s breakout player of the season after steeping in for Jaden Corzine after his injury.

Feet back in the box, eyes completely locked in to the once domineering pitcher, Junior Josh Gonzalez plans to make his mark for his team.

In a year full of crazy accomplishments and injuries, the Bowie Baseball team has still found a way to make the playoffs. Coach Degelia, who has been at Bowie since 1998, was able to lead the team to its 24th consecutive year in the playoffs. Because of the injuries, a lot of new players had to step up and help propel the team to new heights.

“This year has been much different than year’s past,” Degelia said. “Josh Gonzales has done a great job stepping into his role this year. After Jaden Corzine went down with injury, I put Josh into his spot to help fill the gap. He has done just an amazing job at the plate and in the field for us.”

Degelia, in his 11th year as head coach, racked up his 200th win in the middle of the season against Lake Belton. A big part of the team’s success has been pitching and timely hitting. With Gonzales leading off this year, Degelia has had a big emphasis on just getting the ball in play this year.

“It has been incredible to watch how consistent he’s been all year, both at the plate and on the field,” Degelia said. “Baseball is a really hard game, and the fact that he is batting .320 and has barely struck out all year just shows you how good of a player he is. He has done an incredible job at shortstop this year as well. I know he was more comfortable at second base, but he has been just fine at short, making maybe only two errors all season at a really tough position.”

Gonzales has played two years on JV before being moved up to varsity for this year. He began the season out of the starting line up, before eventually moving up to start at shortstop and lead off due to a few injuries.

“I kind of expected him to be a breakout player,” Degelia said. “I know his family really well so I’ve watched him play for a while now, and after watching him perform so well in the fall I had a good feeling that he was going to be a really solid ball player so there really was no surprise.”

Gonzales’ breakout year has been recognized by many, including being featured in the Austin American Statesman “25 Austin-Area Baseball Players Having A Breakout Year.”

“Being featured in the Statesman was an amazing experience,” Gonzales said. “I wouldn’t say it was a big surprise as I have been working really hard this year, so I feel like in some ways I almost kind of expected it.”

Being a lead-off hitter, Gonzales main goal is to get on base and to start the game with a spark. Stats prove he has done that and more, leading the team in On Base Percentage, Batting Average, Runs, RBI’s, Hits and Slugging Percentage.

“Being the “spark plug” is really cool just because I feel like I can just get the team going,” Gonzales said. “That energy is just contagious, by getting the team going it feeds throughout the line up and all of a sudden everyone is getting hits and it just gets passed on.”

The Dawgs’ recently defeated Vista Ridge in round one of the playoffs. Winning both games with a score of 1-0. The Dawgs now advance to round 2 of the area playoff where they play San Antonio Johnson.

“Playoff baseball just feels different,” Gonzales said. “I think it just really puts a lot of pressure on the players and coaches and every game just means a little more. It makes some people play better and some play worse. I think it just all depends on the person. I think our team has a lot of guys who are ready for the moment and they are going to thrive when it really matters.”

Junior Daniel Soto has been a teammate of Gonzales for the last several years, who he has built a close connection with since meeting each other just as young teens. They have played for the same team under the same coach for the last three years.

“It’s Josh’s first year of varsity and he has already shown so much,” Soto said. “He has been going crazy this year and all the recognition he’s gotten has been very well deserved. He has been extremely consistent all year which is so important in a season full of inconsistencies. I also just love him, that’s my guy.”

As the end of the season nears, district, region and state awards are soon to be given out. Gonzales is a strong candidate for these coveted positions. There are only a few select players who earn a spot for these awards, Gonzales has a chance to cement his spot as his playoff run continues.

“When there is a ball hit to Josh, you know a play is going to be made,” Soto said. “When he’s in the box he is crazy stable. You know he’s going to put the ball in play because that’s just what he does. He has been the most consistent hitter all year for us. He should be heavily considered for district MVP, at least all district first team for sure. He has put up a nearly perfect resume, there is nothing he could have done better. I’m excited to see what he’s capable of next season.”