Austin City Limits brings together music, art, and food

Students and teachers alike enjoy the diverse festival, ACl, in mid October

Alissa Lopez, Staff Writer

Austin is home to one of the most popular music festivals in the country. Austin City Limits (ACL) is a festival where music lovers from all over, come together to experience the two weekend long event. Austin City Limits takes place in Austin’s Zilker Park.

This event features an array of artists from all over the world. Normally, the festival takes place the first two weeks of October, from Friday until Sunday and brings in roughly 70,000 people per day.

With a mixed bag of acts, the festival brings music lovers from all over the country. This year, the headlining artists were Foo Fighters on Friday, Drake on Saturday, and The Strokes on Sunday.

Each year, the lineup changes slightly with the different styles of performers. While there are big headliners coming to town, they also try to focus on newer and up and coming artists like Halsey and Vance Joy, old school country like Dwight Yoakam, and local talent like Shakey Graves.

No matter what age, there’s something for everyone. Thousands of fans will brave the crowd to wait it out for their favorite artists.

“I am a huge Twenty One Pilots fan and I waited it out because they’re worth it,” sophomore Andrea Bodine said.

Throughout the day fans flock to the park eager to hear their favorite bands. With eight stages located within the large venue, no matter which one is choosen a show will be going on.

Fan favorites such as the cherished Foo Fighters, put on an exciting and stimulating set, despite lead singer, Dave Grohl, being in a full leg cast from an accident a few months back.

All the action isn’t reserved for the end of the night. Alternative hip hop band, Twenty One Pilots, amazed everyone with their two-man-band.

Lead singer, Tyler Joseph, further surprised fans by climbing on top of the Samsung Galaxy stage. Historically, the weather for Austin City Limits is a hit or miss, with the first weekend being the most predictable.

Past year festivals have experienced uncertain weather from extreme heat to heavy rains. Two years ago the rain was so curtial that the events for Saturday of weekend two were cancelled.

This year, festival goers were lucky to be blessed with comfortable temperatures and no rain. In other words, no treking through the muddy grass swamps of Zilker Park.

It’s not all about music at Austin City Limits music festival.

Local artists set up shop and showcase their best work. Art lovers meander through numerous booths admiring the eclectic mix of clothing, jewelry, paintings and sculptures. Food lovers were able to enjoy the huge array of tasty options with over 30 local vendors setting up shop.

Eating at ACL is nothing like any other festival. With many vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options, no one is left hungry. Perfectly positioned next to ACL Eats, is the popular Art Market, with roughly 25 shops and artists ready to sell their beautiful handmade treasures.

“Vendors put their best foot forward during ACL,” sophomore James Counihan said. “They bring all their best stuff.”

With Austin known as the Music Capital of the World, it’s certain that Austin City Limits will only get better. Each year, fans eagerly await the announcement of the lineup and make plans to attend.

Some fans have traditions around purchasing tickets.

“Every year, a couple friends and myself have made the arrangement of buying each other’s ticketart teacher,” Mindy LeJeune said. “One year, one person buys everyone’s ticket and we rotate each year.”

Early bird tickets for next year’s festival are sold out. Regular passes will be released during the summer of 2016 following the announcement of the lineup.

If you intend to experience ACL for yourself, plan early. Tickets are red hot and sell out fast.