Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Mazzy Warren, Editor-in-Chief • April 25, 2024

WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Cross country ‘Dawgs and Lady ‘Dawgs won first place in the district meet for the first time ever.

10/10 through 10/13 Weekend Sports Review
The dawgs join their pregame huddle to speak with Coach Madeline Evans.

The ‘Dawgs went on the road to play the Johnson Jaguars in a pivotal district matchup on Thursday, October 12. After trailing for much of the first half, the ‘Dawgs led by junior quarterback Cruz Tello went into half-time with a 14-13 lead. 

Following the break, both teams struggled to generate offense in the third quarter. However, thanks to a field goal, the Jaguars led 16-14 with minutes to go in the fourth quarter. 

Needing a score, the ‘Dawgs drove down the field and entered Jaguar territory when Tello connected with sophomore receiver Rowan Wells for a 29-yard gain. Then, junior running back Brandon Thomas finished the drive and put the game away with a 14-yard go-ahead rushing touchdown. 

As a result, the ‘Dawgs won 21-16 and reclaimed the fourth playoff spot in district. Additionally, with a win against Johnson, veteran head coach Jeff Ables secured win number 150 as head coach of the ‘Dawgs.

I feel very blessed to be a coach and to be able to coach at Bowie for the past 36 years.

— Jeff Ables, Coach

“I feel very blessed to be a coach and to be able to coach at Bowie for the past 36 years,” Ables said. “We have a special place. It really is a family. Those wins belong to the players and assistant coaches that have worked so hard toward a common goal. The most important thing to me are the relationships that we have built over the years and developing young men to be good citizens, and one day husbands and fathers.”

Despite the milestone win for the team and Ables, the ‘Dawgs turn their attention to the Akins Eagles next week. Currently 3-2 in district play, the ‘Dawgs can solidify their spot in the playoffs with a victory against the Eagles.  

“Our next goal is beating Akins next week, so that we can secure a playoff spot,” Ables said. 

Also on Thursday, October 12, the cross country team competed in the district meet. For the first time ever, both the ‘Dawgs and Lady ‘Dawgs won first place in the district meet.

“It felt like such a fitting end to my cross country journey,” senior Will Gum said. “I spent the last four years training every morning with these people and we ended with our best season yet.”

I spent the last four years training every morning with these people and we ended with our best season yet.

— Will Gum, Senior

Individually, senior Reiser Johnson finished fourteenth, while sophomore Griffin Hummel finished seventh overall. For the Lady ‘Dawgs, sophomore Miah McAulay finished second overall and sophomore Willa Bock finished in tenth place. 

In volleyball, the Lady ‘Dawgs faced off against the Del Valle Cardinals on Wednesday, October 11. With home court advantage, the Lady ‘Dawgs won in dominant fashion, sweeping the Cardinals for the second time this season.

Then, on Friday, October 13, the Lady ‘Dawgs traveled to Johnson to play the Jaguars for the second time this season. Winning the first set 25-18, the Lady ‘Dawgs were on pace to win their second game of the week. The tides quickly turned in favor of the Jaguars though, as Johsnon won the next three sets 25-15, 25-22, and 26-24 to take home the victory.

With three games to go in the regular season, the Lady ‘Dawgs sit in sixth place in district, two spots out of a playoff bid, at 5-8.