Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Mazzy Warren, Editor-in-Chief • April 25, 2024

WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Theater students prepare for Bowie’s yearly fall shows

FALL SHOW PREP: STC officers line up before a Fall show dress rehearsal. STC president Amelia Cook delivers an update before releasing the companies for rehearsal.

Lights, camera, action! Every year, theater holds a week of shows that consist of a variety of plays acted out by Bowie students. This year’s fall shows are held in the Bowie Theater. Bowie kids will be a part of three separate shows; A Flea In Her Ear, Comic Potential, and Beautiful People. These productions will explore futuristic, comedic, and dramatic scenes giving a wide range of visual interest to the viewing audiences.

In preparation for the fall productions come auditions. Auditions were held back in early August and students have been preparing since then. Theater students presented their lines to the directors in hopes of achieving the role they desired. Theater student Bubba Infante shares his experience.

“Day of auditions we show up for our time slots and wait for our turn. The directors ask us a few questions and then we perform our piece,” Infante said.

After auditions, students wait for their callbacks. Students will only perform in one out of the three productions available.

“Normally a company list comes out, which is you don’t directly know what character you’re gonna be, but which production you are gonna be,” Infante said.

Infante scored the role of Don Carlos who is the husband in Flea In Her Ear.

“I wasn’t fully set on it personally, but then as we started reading the script, and when I found out who my character was, I was like oh my gosh okay,” Infante said. “The plot line is very fun, and chaotic in a good way.”

When theater students retrieve their roles they will start rehearsing. Preparing for the shows occurs after school and over some weekends.

“On Saturdays, we have workdays where we rehearse and get the tech elements in order,”  junior Audrey Nixon said.

After-school rehearsals go till 6:30 p.m. In those rehearsals students will run the shows, and make edits as they go. These rehearsals involve drilling their lines, practicing their spike marks, and rehearsing their entrances and exits.

“On these work days, I prepare by going through my lines and thinking like why do I say this,” Infante said.

In addition, further preparation occurs for the actors and their characters. They discover their mannerisms and how they want them to move, talk, and laugh.

“I prepare by researching my character like what her life is like, what her goals are, and stuff,” Nixon said. “I also prepare, by going through my lines, and thinking about what they mean.”

One of the shows that students will be preparing for is A Flea In Her Ear which is produced by theater teacher Matthew Humphrey. Flea In Her Ear is a story about a girl who believes her husband is having an affair. There will be lots of drama regarding the husband and wife and the friends of the couple. The characters go down a rabbit hole, falling through loads of emotions and fast-paced comedy.

“It is very farce and it’s a lot of physical comedy and it’s really fun,” Nixon said.

Another show that will be produced is Comic Potential. This show is produced by theater teacher Marco Bazan. Comic Potential is another love story, however, it is set in a dystopian futuristic world where human actors are replaced by robots called Actoids. This production explores the relationship between the Actoids and humans and their coherence.

“The main character of the show is a human writer who comes to this industry, and he falls in love with one of the Actoids,” junior Jayden White said. “It kinda deals with its journey together and the Actoids finding her human qualities.”

White is performing in Comic Potential and his role will have quite a chauvinist attitude.

“I play a misogynist, crazy, neurotic director, who likes to yell at everyone,” White said.

Lastly, the final show that will be produced is Beautiful People, which is directed by Colton Berry. This production is set right after the Great Depression and is told through a family who are on the hunt for happiness. This show will follow a young girl who she had once fallen in love with and as time goes on she will start to see how love isn’t what she thought.

“They’re looking for the innocence and the beautiful part of life in such a depressing time,” junior Brielle Boreing said.

In addition to the actors and their talented qualities, the shows will be further brought to life with the magnificent sets that they help to build. Building the sets for the three productions is taken on by the theater students and producers during class time, after school, and weekend rehearsals. Students participate in any way whether that be leveling, cutting, drawing, sawing, or painting.

“On Saturdays, we come in and build and do our costumes,” senior Brighton Toland said.

These sets transform the plays and make them come to life. With every intricate detail and the help of the actors, each play gives an immersive experience for the audience.

“In Flea In Her Ear, we had a revolving bed that was a necessity for our show,” Nixon said. “It really contributed to the comedy of the show.”