Senior Goodbye: Ava Wong

Ava Wong, In-Depth Editor

Walking into Bowie on the first day of freshman year, I was riddled with fear. The school was huge and I had no idea where I was supposed to go, and what I was supposed to do. Luckily, I was placed in a Journalism 1 class, where I reconnected with old friends, and made new ones. Journalism 1 became my favorite class, one where I felt safe, had fun and was engaged in learning. I found I enjoyed writing and decided I wanted to join Newspaper. 

Now, finishing my third and final year on staff. I am extremely grateful to have found my place. Looking back at the person I was freshman year, I have been able to grow tremendously. Now as I’m entering a new life full of new experiences, I am equipped with the skills to succeed. Though, this wouldn’t be possible without the support of my community. My lovely teachers, friends and family. 

To my teachers: Thank you for your commitment to teaching and investment in your students. The world would not run without y’all. To Ms. Whittington and Mrs. Reyes, y’all made school feel safe and somewhere I was welcomed. Your passion for teaching is the sole reason I decided I wanted to teach, and when I do I hope to be the kind of teacher you two are. Thank y’all for being the women that y’all are, and for caring about each and every one of your students. To Mr. Flick, your rhetoric class pushed me to better my writing. Thank you for your intelligent way of teaching and challenging your students. To Mrs. Stiles, it simply brought me so much joy coming into your class. Thank you for making me want to stay at school the whole day, and being a kind and caring teacher. And to Mr. Reeves, thank you for the opportunity and support you have offered me throughout my four years at Bowie. You gave me a place at this school, and encouraged me to take on big responsibilities. The leadership, critical thinking and communication that occurs in newspaper has prepared me for college and beyond!

To my friends: I love all of y’all with my whole heart. Thank you for sticking with me all these years and making me smile. Y’all’s support has pulled me through high school and made me the person I am today. I will miss all your love!

To Isabella: Words can not describe how thankful I am for you. Throughout all the moving and being apart, we have always come back together stronger and closer. Which is why I know, without a doubt, you will always be my best friend, even if we’re at different colleges. You are intelligent, kind, strong, and most importantly have never stopped being there for me. I love you more than anything, thank you for being you 🙂 

To my parents: Thank you for all your love and support throughout my high school career. For reading every story I wrote. For working to give us the life we have. For supporting me in all I chose to do, and continuing to support me with where I am headed. 

I will be attending the University of Texas at Austin, pursuing a degree in Elementary Education. I hope to become a teacher one day, and model after the amazing teachers I had here at Bowie. As sad as I am to be leaving my life at home, I am extremely excited for this next step in life!

Love,

Ava Wong