Senior Goodbye: Sammie Thompson

Sammie Thompson, Managing Editor

I never imagined myself being a part of the Dispatch staff. Growing up, I was a very shy kid and didn’t talk to people unless I absolutely had to. But when choice sheets came around at the end of freshman year, I listed Newspaper as my first choice. I told myself it was because my friends were signing up or because I liked photography, but deep down I know that there was something about telling other students’ stories that intrigued me. 

Three years and what feels like a lifetime of memories later, I’m so glad I gave the program that became an integral part of my high school experience a chance. Newspaper has given me a sense of community, confidence in my abilities, and skills that I will take with me for the rest of my life. Covering the unique stories of the Bowie community has been an honor, and there are several people in it that I’d like to thank.

To all of my teachers here – thank you for everything you do. My love for learning has only grown while at Bowie, and that is because of you. From writing extra letters of recommendation for scholarships and college applications, to hosting weekend AP test study sessions, I greatly appreciate the immense amount of work that you put in to support your students. It has made a huge difference in my life.

To my parents – thank you for always pushing me out of my comfort zone even when I really didn’t want to be pushed. Even though I don’t feel ready to be out in the world on my own yet, I know that you’ve given me everything I need, and that you’re only a phone call away. I can’t wait to make you jealous of all the fun things I’m doing, and no, you can’t move to Waco with me to relive your college years. 

To my friends – there’s too many of you to name individually, but you know who you are. I can’t believe our time at Bowie together is almost over! I have so many amazing memories with each of you, from our lunches at the octagon table to Facetiming after every Zoom meeting last year, I’ll miss it all. But you can’t get rid of me yet. I already know this summer will be our best yet, and you better keep your promises to come home during holidays next year!

To Reeves – I don’t think I’ve explicitly told you how much of an impact the newspaper program has had on me. Even though my leadership style is more behind-the-scenes, you took a chance on me this year and I appreciate that. Thank you for the little things, like bringing us donuts on deadline weeks, and the big things, like fighting for our rights as student journalists. Although my future plans do not necessarily include journalism, I believe that the skills you have taught me will help me go far in life. You make each of your students feel capable and celebrate all of our awards to the fullest extent, and the Dispatch wouldn’t be the same without you! 

To the Dispatch leadership team – you guys are the best. We’ve been a powerhouse this year and I have loved seeing each of our unique personalities come together. I can’t wait to see everything you guys do in college! 

To the rest of the Dispatch staff – I’m so excited to see what you accomplish in the years to come. From the first print edition last fall to the Directive and Drive this spring, it has been a privilege to watch you grow in your skills and confidence this year. I will miss our time together in F203 next year! 

Next year, I will be attending Baylor University where I will be studying Biology on the pre-med track. I hope to someday become a doctor (maybe a surgeon or pediatrician or neurologist), and integrate my love of science with that of helping others. Onto the next adventure! 

With love, Sammie