An undefeated homecoming

Natalie Cullen, Izzy Rejino, and Austin Ikard

Izzy Rejino and Natalie Cullen

From dressing up all week to celebrating during the pep rally, Homecoming week has been a school tradition for decades. These activities all lead to the homecoming football game, where the king and queen are crowned and the student section cheers the varsity team on. This year, the student section participated in a “black out” theme, where everyone dressed in all black. 

The final score against Del Valle was 35-7, with our team taking home the win. Seniors Anthony Simmons, Noah Camacho, and Cash Peters made the big plays of the game, leading the team to victory. Although the team won and has been undefeated this season, Senior Right Guard Chandler Classen believes the team is still growing and needs to prepare for their next game against Westlake. 

“To prepare for the game, we watched film on the other team and made sure we had good practices”, Classen said. “I think we did good as a team, but there is always room for improvement. We need to clean up the little mistakes.”

Many seniors made posters and social media posts throughout the week, hoping to win the title of Homecoming king and queen. When the time came, Seniors Ellie Dusterhoft and Steven Davis’ hard work paid off, as they were named king and queen. 

“I wanted to run because my birthday happened to be on the day of the game so I thought it would be a fun memory if I did win,” Dusterhoft said. “I was honestly surprisingly anxious about it before. I was really nervous about just walking in front of people which isn’t normal for me.”

The homecoming court is determined by a student vote. Voting took place the week before and the results for seniors were revealed at the game.

“I was really excited about it,” Dusterhoft said. “It was so fun, and having all my friends support me in the student section was honestly my favorite part. After the game we all hung out at Sonic with everyone to celebrate the win.”