A bite from culinary Gourmet Night

Parents and faculty enjoyed an “Austinspired” themed five-course meal

Culinary students prepare treats for the five-course meal they served. They started planning for Gourmet Night in September and finally served the food in March.

The 13th annual Gourmet Night was quite the bite on Saturday, March 22.
Parents and previous students gathered at the end of downstairs F hall for a night of “Austinspired.”
Gourmet night is the biggest event of the year for Bowie Culinary. A five-course meal is prepared and served to 96 customers, which includes parents, previous students and faculty members of the culinary department.

Tickets are priced at $35 each, which covers the cost of food. Total food price ranges around $3,000 total.
Chef Winemiller does his job teaching culinary students how to prepare the food and handle it.

“My favorite thing is that Chef creates a real world environment in the fact that we cook for paying customers, not ourselves.” senior Alex Grimsley said. “Also we create so many different things and try new things that it makes you get out of your comfort zone.”
Grimsley has been on the culinary team for two years. Grimsley helps contribute to the event by prepping food, creating recipes, acquiring donations, and creating the dining room.

As one of the biggest fundraiser events of the year for the Bowie Culinary department, lots of planning in advance goes into it. They start planning during the middle of the 2nd six weeks.

The amount of time, effort and planning required is massive.
“We started planning for gourmet night way back in September,” senior Taylor Shutter said. “Our first order of business is to choose a theme, so meetings were held with the entire club and we voted for a certain theme.”

Each year, culinary picks a theme for the night. A theme is selected for the function every year, which allows the department to base room decorations and recipes off of.

This year’s theme was “Austinspired.”  Culinary has prepared many dishes from well-known establishments like Trulucks, Second Bar & Kitchen and many other Austin restaurants and put their own spin on them.

President of Culinary club, senior Taylor Shutter managed the operation and helped prepare food during Gourmet night. Shutter claims lots of dedication and time go into culinary but it’s a great organization to be apart of.

“This class is such a diverse group of people and it’s so much fun to develop friendships with people I wouldn’t normally have known,” Shutter said. “We are like a huge family.”