Virtual Learning Isn’t Easy

Shikha Patel

Compared to in person school, online school is harder for some students to learn at. Online school does have some pros, but considering these problems don’t even really exist at normal school it is most definitely harder to learn with online school.

Alex Edwards, J1 Reporter

Since March 2020 when the nation-wide quarantine started, students have had to attend the online version of school. I think normal school is much easier to deal with in terms of work and is also just a lot more fun in general. Not only is school harder now but it is also just not really all that enjoyable either.

Firstly, I’d like to clarify that having to deal with the not so good aspects of online school is better than risking students and teachers’ health. I’m just here to give my opinion on online school. 

I think online school is like normal school except online is harder for me to understand my classes, and without the fun aspects of school. One aspect I dislike the most about online school is the absurd amount of hours that we have to spend staring at our monitors every day.

I’m sick of having to spend so much time on my computer every day and after a long day of looking at the screen, I don’t want to sit there for longer doing homework. This is something that makes me procrastinate with my work, which obviously isn’t good. 

I think teachers should try to give more assignments where you don’t need to do them on a computer. Having to stare at a monitor is extremely tiring after a while and makes it harder for some students to get work done efficiently. The amount of time we have to look at our computers is too much in my opinion and my eyes have been starting to hurt towards the end of the day.

Another thing that makes it hard for some students to learn are the distractions everywhere. In a perfect world, students would eliminate distractions around them and give 100% of their attention to the lesson, but this isn’t a perfect world and students make a lot of bad decisions. 

At home, it is a lot easier to get distracted by something on the computer or in your room than it is at school where the teacher is always right there to keep you on task. It is a lot easier to lose focus when the teacher is just a little box on a screen. This is something where students need to take responsibility for themselves. That being said, it isn’t easy to focus all the time, especially if the lesson isn’t something that you’re interested in. 

The problems that I listed above are very much ones that may not affect every student because the ways we learn are different. For some, the long periods of time on the computer may not affect them or their work and some people are fully capable of focusing on classes with no problem. Though the problems don’t always apply to everyone, that doesn’t mean they don’t make it harder for the people they do affect to learn.