Depop during quarintine

Carey Wooley, Reporter

At the beginning of Covid-19 quarantine many parts of peoples day to day lives changed. People could no longer work or go in person to their jobs or shop at a store like people once did. This caused people to turn to the already exciting online thrifting website and app Depop.

Depop is an app where anyone can post clothes, jewelry, and many other goods to be bought by someone else on the app. Over 13 million people use Depop which has increased every year especially this past year due to Covid lockdown.

“I started selling on Depop around April,”  junior Ellie Dusterhoft said.

“I started selling on the app because Corona had just started and I couldn’t work.” 

The app has many perks as it is pretty user friendly and allows shoppers to get in direct contact with the sellers. Reaching out to others on the sight is often used to sell items more efficiently. 

“My favorite thing about depop is the community and that sellers and buyers all want to help each other out to get and sell awesome stuff,” sophomore Caroline Cullinane.

The app is most known as another version of an online thrift store having a lot of appeal to users looking for a more sustainable version to fast fashion. Many sellers will put items in their shop from their own closet or they will get items from places like goodwill and flip them or sell them as is on the app.

“I began selling old clothes that I didn’t use, I wanted to make some money off of them instead of just giving them to goodwill,” Cullinane said.

There are some downsides to the app, especially considering they take part of every purchase. Depop takes about ten percent of every purchase and if you use paypal through the app paypal also takes a small percentage.

“A downside to selling on depop is that they take 10% of whatever I sell,” Cullinane said. “If I could change anything, I think I would change the percent that depop takes from us, even though it would obviously benefit sellers more than depop.”

Another downside is that it can be hard to sell things quickly. Sometimes items will sit in the shop for months without ever being sold. Other times buyers on the shop can disagree with the price and want to see it change before they can purchase it.

“My least favorite thing is that it can be hard to find good deals and also hard to negotiate with buyers,” Cullinane said. “A lot of people don’t want to pay a lot, which can be hard for the sellers.”