Students celebrate Hispanic Heritage month

From+September+15+to+October+15%2C+Hispanic+Heritage+month+was+celebrated+worldwide.+The+Bowie+community+participated+as+well.+

Shruti Patel

From September 15 to October 15, Hispanic Heritage month was celebrated worldwide. The Bowie community participated as well.

On September 17, 1968 President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Proclamation 3869, which established National Hispanic Heritage Week. This proclamation was signed in order to show American citizens that Hispanic traditions and actions made this country what it was and without them there would be no country. During Ronald Reagan’s term, he extended the special week to an entire month, from September 15th to October 15th. 

Before the pandemic, Bowie’s students decorated the teacher’s doors, put art around the hallways, and quotes through the daily announcements. Several students, such as Tennyson Tole explain that celebrating this month on campus at Bowie was something she definitely missed this year. 

“Hispanic Heritage month is very important, especially considering that Bowie’s student population is less than 30% hispanic, Tole said. “It is necessary to recognize hispanic culture and appreciate its contributions; artistically and otherwise!”

Bowie students like junior Anny Sacy emphasizes the importance of learning about Hispanic Heritage Month, even during these times. 

“I believe that it is important to learn about this month to recognize and appreciate Hispanic art and culture,” Sacy said. “Also, it is crucial to show administration for Hispanic people and learn more about their impact that they’ve made within our society.”

Although most students at Bowie are online, Hispanic Heritage Month was still celebrated all across Bowie through music played through ZOOM before class, fun projects, and activities that all celebrate LatinX music, writings from Hispanic writers, and art from Hispanic artists. 

“In my creative writing class, our teacher dedicated an assignment to Hispanic Heritage month by showing Hispanic artists that have made an impact to the writing and art world,” Sacy said. 

Similarly, Tagle’s Spanish classes are focusing on the essence of Mexican culture through the use of literature in order to share and learn the history of Mexico. 

Educa Austin

“[My Spanish 6 class] is reading Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel and investigating related topics such as the Mexican Revolution, Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz, Machismo, and the role of the Catholic church, Tagle said.

Teachers all around campus encouraged students to enter a talent show run by Educa Austin and Austin ISD to encourage students to submit entries that related to Hispanic Heritage Month such as writings, music, drawings, and more. 

“I wanted to enter this contest to celebrate my own hispanic heritage, among that of others, Tole said.

Tole decided to enter in a video of herself singing “La Cigarra” which is a Mariachi style song originally sung by Raymundo Pérez y Soto. There is a link at the bottom of the story with her submission. Be sure to give it a like!

“My Mexican grandfather, Enrique Medina, loved the singer Linda Ronstadt, and the song La Cigarra was written to celebrate Ronstandt’s father’s Mexican heritage,” Tole said. “Through this contest entry, I was able to learn more about my grandfather and his life.”

Tole believes that it is imperative to learn about other cultures outside of a person’s own culture because it can lead to positive consequences. 

“When you incorporate and learn about traditions from other cultures, regardless of which culture, you are appreciating and recognizing the history of your friends, classmates, and teachers,” Tole said. 

Tole suggests that there is an easy way for anyone to start learning about different cultures, starting with Hispanic culture. 

Listening to hispanic music is a great start to learning about hispanic culture!” Tole said. “Hispanic Heritage Month is a great way to celebrate, actively participate in, and understand hispanic culture.”