Ross’ color guard leadership inspires

Jadon Alvarez, Entertainment Editor

Color Guard is a unique sport where people spin intricate objects like flags, rifles, or sabers and incorporate elements of dance. Color guard is a sport that has been apart of senior Shannon Ross’s life since her freshman year and since then, she went from just learning flag tricks to moving her way up to being captain of the entire guard.

As captain, Ross had many responsibilities that came at a cost but benefited the team at the end of the day.

“It’s your responsibility to help lead the team, help motivate the team and help the directors in anyway possible by getting things and making sure everything‘s ready for rehearsals,” Ross said. “Staying late to make sure everyone has a ride home after rehearsals and setting the standard for everyone to follow and make sure you hold everyone responsible to standard.” 

Ross also had personal struggles, having to balance her personal life with leading a team of talented girls.

“I think the biggest struggle I faced as being captain is having to separate my friend life from my captain responsibilities,” Ross said. “Having everyone understand that when I’m in captain mode, I’m not doing anything to undermine or create conflict with anything outside of our colorguard life.”

Ross worked hard and was a team player and kept her whole team organized while making sure they excelled at competition.

“Shannon was a really good captain in my opinion because she would be there for you if you needed help,” junior Leah Oetting said. “She was a really fun and kept our team organized and entertained.”

Ross kept motivation going for the team; for learning tricks that came with tossing flags, rifles, and sabers and making sure their performances were the best that they could be.

“Shannon did inspire me and always motivated me to work hard and being able to do tricks like she was able to in the future,” Oetting said. 

As Ross departs, not only will she remember all the fun she had on trips to competitions and performing on the floor itself, she will always remember her team of girls and the memories that came with each of them and every competition.

“Seeing everyone connect and building that team bond and seeing that from a higher perspective was one of the best parts of being captain,” Ross said.