How To Adult: Job Interviews

How To Adult: Job Interviews

Abby Ong, Feature Editor

Making money is a goal for a lot of students. Whether it’s to save up for college, a car, or just to have more cash to spend, many students get their first job while they’re in high school.

Once you’ve scored a job interview, it’s important to go into the interview prepared. No matter what job you are trying to apply for, you want to leave a good impression on the interviewer. Below are five things to remember.

1. WEAR: Dress appropriately for the job and cover everything that needs to be covered. For an entry-level job, a pair of dark jeans and a nice shirt should suffice, but be sure to adjust depending on where you’re applying.

2. BODY LANGUAGE: When talking to the interviewer, be sure to stay friendly but professional. Keep eye contact and stay calm and collected. This means avoiding fidgeting, crossing your arms, and shifting.

3. HYGIENE: Hygiene is always important, but it’s even more so for jobs.  Make sure your hair is not oily or messy. Shower beforehand and keep your breath fresh. Remember that appearances are your first impression.

4. ATTITUDE: When meeting a future employer, you want to show them that they can trust you to represent their company. Stay respectful, smile, and speak clearly and concisely.

5. BE PREPARED: Make sure you’ve decided ahead of time what you want and know how many hours you can work, when you can, and what salary you are willing to work for. Bring anything required, such as a resume.